We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency used $US or sri lankan rupee when booking accom?

Which Colombo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
queensland
Level Contributor
430 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
Currency used $US or sri lankan rupee when booking accom?

Hi, i am trying to book accommodation for Colombo now and finding most of the accommodation on booking sites quote $US, why is this so? Even when I refer to my guide book some accommodation quotes rupee while others quote $US. I am from Australia and do not want to pay in $US, am happy to pay in rupee, otherwise, I have to convert $AUD to $US and again to rupee.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency used $US or sri lankan rupee when booking accom?

Many hotels/guesthouses quote in USD, but demand payment in LKR.

Hans

Level Contributor
128 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency used $US or sri lankan rupee when booking accom?

When we there recently they quoted in $US (which helped to give up a quick sense of the cost) but we did actually pay in Sri Lankan. We changed Aussie dollars to Sri Lankan when we arrived at the airport very easily and used either that or our credit card (in very selected places where we felt confident).

queensland
Level Contributor
430 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency used $US or sri lankan rupee when booking accom?

Hello, Antipodian_Annie

Thank you for your help, what do you mean by

"and used our credit card (in very selected places where we felt confident)." Is it not safe to use credit card in Sri Lanka.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,247 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency used $US or sri lankan rupee when booking accom?

Nope not at all. Cloning, even if you loose sight of the card for 30 seconds, is rampant.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,653 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency used $US or sri lankan rupee when booking accom?

I used a pre-paid MasterCard most of the time. I had it refused in 2 paces where they didn't have a chip and pin machine but had no problems any where else.

Edited: 15 March 2014, 09:10
Level Contributor
128 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency used $US or sri lankan rupee when booking accom?

We decided to be cautious about using cards after reading tripadvisor posts. We had cash, a pre-paid QANTAS cashcard and one credit card with a limited "max" that we only used where we felt confident. We had no issues and loved Sri Lanka. I am still reading posts cause we are planning our next trip!

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,027 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency used $US or sri lankan rupee when booking accom?

I've never used a credit card in Sri Lanka in 5 trips, and have only once used my ATM card.

Always take enough cash to last me for my whole trip.

Level Contributor
128 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency used $US or sri lankan rupee when booking accom?

We also found we used more cash than we anticipated - as entrance fees for foreigners were more than we had expected. (We had one day that our driver paid for things for us!) However we found food really cheap - and vegetarian curries were amazing.

9. Re: Currency used $US or sri lankan rupee when booking accom?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2015, 04:49