We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

watching world cup football

Which Colombo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
watching world cup football

Will be in sri lanka during the world cup and would welcome any suggestions on the best place to watch some games

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,064 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: watching world cup football

Hi Dominic,

The more upmarket hotels and tourist restaurants have Star Sports (satellite) channel which will cover quite a few of the matches. However as the broadcast moment is generally not exactly dinner time, more like nighttime, a hotel to watch them in your room or in the lobby is probably best. No guarantee people will actually gather in the lobby for watching at such a ghostly hour though....

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
4,940 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: watching world cup football

Not much official news regarding this yet. The up market pubs have a tentative plan which involves of broadcasting all the 9:30pm matches and a selected lot of the "ghost hour" matches.

As to which matches are selected will depend on "popularity" and the buzz around each fixture.

Things might change as the dates get closer.

Matches should kick off at 9:30pm/12:30pm/3:30am give or take an additional hour

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
713 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: watching world cup football

Yes this is smth i wanted to check as well.

Which channel broadcasts the world cup? Would the good hotels have that channel? Prefer to watch them in my room.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
4,277 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: watching world cup football

We had star sports in both India and Sri Lanka in the bedroom at the hotels.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
4,940 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: watching world cup football

In addition to the satellite channels, one of the local channels should broadcast it as well. So you should be fine as long as there's a TV in your hotel room.

Prague, Czech...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: watching world cup football

Dispite my love for football I will not be getting up at 3.30am and wondering down to the pub to watch England v Italy on the 12th but I would like to know if any of the channels here Star sports or Setanda will be showing repeats of the full games the next day as if it were live ?!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
4,940 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: watching world cup football

Yes they usually do.

And a local channel should be broadcasting this as well

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: watching world cup football

World cup is broadcast by sony six in the indian subcontinent and is currently avaialble on one DTH provider dishtv sri lanka ,which is a new one, The other popular dth may add the channel soon.

9. Re: watching world cup football

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2015, 05:15