We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sri Lanka 4 days - August

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Sri Lanka 4 days - August

Hello,

We are flying to the Maldives on Sri Lankan airlines and we are going to stay in Sri Lanka for 4 days on our way back home. We are flying in and out of Colombo, we will not be visiting Sri Lanka again anytime soon so we'd like to visit the most unique sights available. Initially we thought we'd go rafting for a couple of days in Kitulgala and spend a couple of days in Colombo however it seems that there isn't much to do or see in Colombo. A more in depth search has led me to the Cultural triangle which seems like a great area to visit but because this is our first time there I am finding it quite difficult to come up with an efficient and practical itinerary and I am hoping someone can help me.

Arrival 14th August 5:30pm

Departure 18th August 6:30pm

A proposed itinerary I have seen online suggested the following:

Day 1 Colombo / Pinnawala / Sigiriya

Day 2 Sigiriya / Dambulla / Kandy

Day 3 Kandy / Kitulgala

Day 4 Kitulgala / Colombo

Thanks in advance for your help

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,064 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sri Lanka 4 days - August

Hi there,

Not bad! 14th night you'd best stay Negombo, Then 15th Pinawela-Sigiriya, you'd arrive later in afternoon. 16th start climb directly after B'fast, you arrive Kandy 3-4 PM which is enough time to see dance show and Tooth Temple. 17th leave around 8 AM to be in time for the rafting boats which leave around 10 AM.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sri Lanka 4 days - August

Thanks for the reply Erik, I've been reading that its better to stay in one central area and visit all the different sites from there. That seems like a lot of wasted time on the road to me. What do you think about that ? In case you are in favor of a single accommodation, which city/town would be more suitable ?

Can you recommend any drivers/transport company ?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,064 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sri Lanka 4 days - August

Hi again,

Bad advice in the sense that distances are simply too far to reach much from a central site. Hence in your plan 3 sites, Sigiriya/Kandy/Kitulgala. Of course on 17th you can return to Kandy after rafting. You loose roughly 2 hours detour by returning to Kandy, advantage is one less change of hotels.

Large and safe operators are e.g. Aitken Spence, Luxe Asia, Red Dot, Tangerine and Walkers.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sri Lanka 4 days - August

You can simply google search and get the best option.

In most reputed cab or taxi companies they charge around Rs 65 to 70 per km. If you search on google for like cheap taxi or rent a cab sri lanka you will get a lot of options and get the best rate.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,064 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sri Lanka 4 days - August

That's incomplete. Paul. Going price for ONE-WAY transfers is between Rs 70-75 /km, as they assume an empty return ride. However this specific case is clearly a roundtrip from airport to airport, and going price for that is a lot lower (from the reputed companies too!): Rs 45/km, with a minimum daily mileage.

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sri Lanka 4 days - August

One-way hires are usually approx. LKR 70-75 km/h.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sri Lanka 4 days - August

Hi

I suggest you to try the superb hotel Royal River Resort in Kithulgala.

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sri Lanka 4 days - August

I have been quoted 250usd for the round trip by a local family owned driving company (hasantha), this is his suggested itinerary:

Day 01 Pick-up from airport drive to Negombo. Overnight stay at Negombo.

Day 02 After breakfast drive to Sigiyira. En-route visit Pinnawalla Elephant Orphanage to feed the elephants and watch them, Dambulla Cave Temple. Overnight stay at Sigiriya.

Day 03 After breakfast climb the Sigiriya rock and drive to Kandy. En-route visit Kandy city, Temple of the Tooth Relic, Botanical Garden, See a Cultural show. Overnight stay at Kandy.

Day 04 After breakfast drive to Kithulgala. in the evening go for the white water rafting. Overnight stay at Kithulgala.

Day 05 After breakfast drive from Kithulgala to airport.

The estimated mileage is 650km and any extra km will be charged at a rate of 0.34usd.

This does seem like a fair offer, in lieu of what Erik has mentioned above.

Any comments on the sequence of the sites ? I am not sure why he wants us to go rafting in the afternoon in Kithulgala.

Thanks

Edited: 18 July 2014, 11:23
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,064 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sri Lanka 4 days - August

Hi again,

Yes strange, most rafting in K'gala is from 10 to about 13h. Afternoon would have to start at 3 PM. Yes price seems about right for a distance of about 700 km.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sri Lanka 4 days - August

But telling with experience i had the rates were like that. That company was a recently formed one and may be they have very competitive rates to catch the market. If u wish i can send details for your information.