We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sri Lanka in a week with following stops...is it possible?

Which Colombo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bucks
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sri Lanka in a week with following stops...is it possible?

Hi Im off to Sri Lanka in August and was hoping to cover off the following...Is this feasible in 7 days?

1) Sigiriya

2) Kandy - i understand there is a festival in August

3) Train ride from Kandy to xxx

4) xxx to Unawatuna

5) Unawatuna / south coast to columbo

6) Day in Columbo

Where is the best place to ride a train to if i leave from Kandy. Preferably Id be able to get transport to either Marissa or Unawatuna fro the selected destination..

Many Thanks

Kandy
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sri Lanka in a week with following stops...is it possible?

That is a lot to be done in 7 days. From Kandy you could either take the train to nanu Oya (to stay in Nuwara Eliya), Ohiya (to visit Horton Plains National park), Haputale or Ella. Given the trip is few days you would have to take a taxi from that point to Unawatuna.

When you reach Unawatuna your day might be over (long journey). Better to skip a day in Colombo and stay another night in Unawatuna. You can go direct from Unawatuna to airport using two highways. If really needed tell your taxi driver to drive you around Colombo before heading to airport.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,207 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sri Lanka in a week with following stops...is it possible?

Don't do this unless you'd be happy with a This-is-Thursday-so-it-must-be-Paris type of travel. You have everyday between 3 and 7 hours of travel and hardly time to enjoy the places you visit!

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Bucks
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sri Lanka in a week with following stops...is it possible?

Hi,

What would you recommend skipping? I presume do either the interior (sirigiya, Kandy, Ella), or do the beaches (Colombo unawatuna, marrisa). Will the weather be OK for the south west beaches?

Many thsnks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,207 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sri Lanka in a week with following stops...is it possible?

Hi again,

The beaches won't allow water sports like snorkel, U'tuna offers some swimming behind the reef and nice sunny days until 3-4 PM. Indeed 3 bases are max; as beach is essential for many people generally we recommend Sigiriya-Kandy-beach or Kandy-Ella-beach but indeed you could also do Sigiriya-Kandy-Ella solely.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Bucks
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sri Lanka in a week with following stops...is it possible?

Hi,

Many thanks for your help....

So Ive put together the following itinerary. What does this look like?

Also., could you tell me whats an average cost of a driver from Kandy to Unawatuna? Although most of this I'd like to do via public transport. And finally, do I need to book tickets to the August Festival in Kandy in advance?

Arrive in Colombo late on evening of Day 0

Day 1: Columbo to Dambullah - is this possible on the train - I couldnt see a station on the route maps and is it worth it anyway?

Day 2: See Sigiriya (is it possible to sty here or do I need to stay in Dambullah) and go to Kandy

Day 3: Day in Kandy - see cultural festival

Day 4: Go to Unawatuna from Kandy (private hire or train or bus?)

Day 5: Marissa

Day 6: Darawalla

Day 7: Go back to Columbo

Day 8: Fly out in pm

Many Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,207 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sri Lanka in a week with following stops...is it possible?

Hi again,

Too many bases, for the beach stick to U'tuna _or_ Mirissa and make day trips to the other beaches if you really want to see them.

Day1: no train, closest station would be Kekirawa (or Habarana but we're not certain about express trains stopping there). Yes esp. with public transport Dambulla is the best base. There are direct buses from Colombo.

Day4: there's a direct train leaving Kandy 5.10 AM, otherwise with train transfer in Colombo Fort or Maradana. Cab would be around Rs 16,000 + toll fee.

If you insist on a great seat for the Perahera you might need to prebook yes, but doubt whether it's worth the hefty price and fits in your overall backpacker-style budget.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Sri Lanka in a week with following stops...is it possible?

No need to book the perahera. I didn't sat on a bench with the sri Lankan people and loved it.

I'd choose either marissa or una watuna. I'd pick una watuna personally. Easy to get back to columbo up the highway then.

Sigiriya is a must! Not much to do I'm Dambulla so you could just go, get a room, do sigiriya, stay the night and move on. Saves some time.

Have fun

Sarah

8. Re: Sri Lanka in a week with following stops...is it possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2015, 06:15