We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Advice

London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Advice

Hi,

I am very excited about an upcoming trip to SL! It's my first time.

I have booked my accommodation:

Arrive Colombo airport at 17.30, travel by private car & driver to Jetwing Vil Uyana for 3 nights.

Then 2 nights at Elephant Stables.

Further 2 nights back in Colombo

I need some help planning an itinerary for the time in Sigirya area and Kandy, keen to do all the cultural sights and also a tea planation in Kandy. Would also like to do a safari near the cultural triangle if possible.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks,

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,231 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Advice

Hi there,

Well a tiring start, as you'd arrive hotel almost middle of the night. Hope you checked with the operator/driver that he is willing to make the trip, some drivers refuse to drive in that area after 8 PM due to risks of wild jumbos around the corner.

For VU area the list is standard: Rock Fortress, Dambulla Golden Temple, P'ruwa monument zone and if one likes smaller sites like Aukana and Ritigala. Habarana is the safari place, with 3 parks sharing one huge herd of elephants; safaris 6-9 AM and 3-6 PM.

For Kandy hard to prioritise as you have so much choice. This list

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g304138-Activiti…

might help, there is a tea museum and Hantana and a working tea factory in Pilimatalawa but also plantations further out.

Hope this helps a bit,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Advice

Thanks Erik, did not realise about the issue with arriving late.

Have others had this as a problem?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,216 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Advice

Well, you might be able to find some driver who will get you across. But I'd try re arrange the accommodation dates.

Spend the first night in Negombo - esp if you're on a long haul flight - and then drive off to Dambulla next morning. You will get to see the country, plus do justice to Vil Uyana, which has fantastic rooms.

4. Re: Itinerary Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2015, 06:17