We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Country map

Alf
Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
134 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Country map

Which country map of Sri Lanka would folk recommend just for a general tourist?

I'm not driving myself nor having to get around otherwise, it's just that I've always liked to have a map of the country that I am visiting for general orientation.

Any advice gratefully received.

Bentota, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Country map

Hi There,

Its not something that widely use in Sri Lanka, hence I am not aware of any particular print but available from several version to suit defendant needs , e;g; for tourist info,

Regards

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,040 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Country map

I recommend the general road map published by the Survey Department. They did two re-prints in 2014 and you can get it at any local bookshop.

It has a light blue and yellow colour cover

Negombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Country map

Any book shop can provide you with a pocket one.

Bring your Smartphone and get local connection and can use their online map too Also you can use the Google map between two destinations.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,040 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Country map

Yeah, but if you're a fan of old school physical maps - despite the GPS and other stuff that will help you out - then the one mentioned above will make a handy souvenir

Alf
Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
134 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Country map

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of getting one in UK but should have realised that I am much better buying it in SL.

I am old school so do like tangible maps. Also to use a UK registered smart 'phone there will cost me a fortune in charges.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,040 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Country map

Do you mean to say that your UK phone is locked by your network? It should be free to get it unlocked.

Once you have an unlocked smartphone, you can buy a local sim (next to nothing) and then use the map services on your phone. Local data charges are not that high.

Here's an older version of the survey department road map.

http://tinyurl.com/lzhulp6

You can print it out on a A3 if you want, but getting a newer booklet here will obviously be easier

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,527 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Country map

Hi,

If you did want to get something before you go then Stanford's are great and they do mail order.

stanfords.co.uk/Home/Product-Detail/Sri-Lank…

Cheers

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Country map

visit map of sri lanka and check.

you can buy in sri lanka for about 04-05 $ at most of the book shop

upul

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Country map

Nelles do one, I just bought it. it's 1:400 000 i think(?). has town maps on the reverse. seems good for planning itineries etc. not many to choose from. I think theres a Periplus one as well, just check Amazon...?

10. Re: Country map

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2015, 05:16