We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where should we stay?

Which Colombo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
midlands, england
1 post
Save Topic
where should we stay?

we need to stop off in colombo for one night and our touroperator is trying to send us on an hours journey to mount lavinia, is there somewhere near to the airport where we could stay? we would be looking for no less than 4 star acc as we are on our honeymoon. please advise us.

Sri Lanka
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: where should we stay?

try the Taj airport garden hotel. it's nice. Its 4 star accommodation. I've been there. You could also check out hotels in colombo like the Hilton, or Transasia Hotel or The Galadari. They are all great. But the latter hotels are all about an hours drive from the airport. Airport Garden is about 1/2 hour tops.

Leicester
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: where should we stay?

If you are on your honeymoon, there can be only one choice - Galle Face Hotel. We never stayed, but went for lunch and it is really magnificant. Very old colonial style and the food is incredible. Its not the closest to the airport, but isnt that far, but is certainly the best

Holland
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: where should we stay?

gotta agree with stormy, The Galle Face Hotel is fantastic.Old colonial, and with superb service. It is a fantastic country with such wonderful people, ENJOY!

Baslow, Derbyshire...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where should we stay?

I think realistically it will be more than an hours journey. We stopped at The Hilton Colombo - which was comfortable and the food in Spoons Restaurant super. I would however say that this is nearing 3/4 hour from airport and is a stones throw from the Galle Face Hotel mentioned by others. We did actually go for lunch also at the Galle - but we felt the staff were not as friendly as the Hilton. Our driver also stated that the Hilton was the best hotel in town .... and it was obvious all the Airline crews stopped here! Breakfast was also good in the hotel's Spices Restaurant.

colombo
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where should we stay?

Well Hilton and Mount Beach are 2 different type of placses. Both are high classs but different. Since you are staying only for 1 night better stay close to the air port.

Also I dont know what time your flight is. If its in the night (after 9pm to 5:30 am) then Mount to Airport will take max 90 mins.

but if its during the day. the whole trip might take as long as 3 hours.

Since you are on your honeymoon, I guess you'd prefer to do less travel. So there are plenty of good hotels and transit hotels close to Katunayake (Air Port), better stay close.

Anyway all the best with you maried life.