We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights Dushanbe to Khujand

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Flights Dushanbe to Khujand

Finding it almost impossible to get information or book flights between Dushanbe and Khujand online before I arrive in Dushanbe on 17 April. Does anyone know if there are daily flights and if you can book these at the airport when you arrive?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights Dushanbe to Khujand

The flights aren't daily but I believe Somon Air is your only option for flying between Dushanbe and Khujand. I have no idea if flights book up in advance or not.

Since the new tunnel opened in late 2012 I think the drive is probably down to about 5-6 hours now so you would only be saving a couple of hours by flying. However, you will have to pass through the one nightmare of a tunnel built by the Iranians. I guess it depends on whether the flight or the tunnel sounds more frightening to you :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights Dushanbe to Khujand

Thank you. I was hoping there was something more frequent than Somon Air's infrequent schedule, but will probably just go ahead and book with them. I think flying sounds marginally better than 6 hours by road!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights Dushanbe to Khujand

I took the road and it does take about 6 hours. Its a scary option and the 4 km tunnel is horrendous. There are places once you hit the mountains where the road diisapears and you are looking at a sheer drop.You will also have to close the windows as the amount of dust from vehicles in front is horrendous. Its not for the faint hearted but it was a hell of an adventure. I breathed with relief by the time we arrived. I also found it difficutl to find flights on line and the general consensus was that this was pretty scary too, so take your pick.

good luck

angie

www.angietravels.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights Dushanbe to Khujand

Thanks Angie - flying sounds marginally better! Leaving the UK on Weds - we can't wait!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights Dushanbe to Khujand

Its a destination with a difference that's for sure. The city is basically one long main street and attractions are limited. Near to Khojand is the town of Istaravshan. You may want to consider an overnight stay with a local family - its quite a quirky place. Have a great trip and enjoy the flight. You should get some amazing mountain views.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights Dushanbe to Khujand

Update....flew from Dushanbe to Kujhand with Soman Air - 35 min flight. New aircraft - couldn't fault it. Flights are fully booked and only every couple of days. We booked online in advance and had no problems. Beats a 4-6 hour journey by car I think - seems like the locals agree too. We then stayed with family in Pongaz - two hours up in to the mountains from there. Little has changed in 100 yrs. amazing hospitality but zero English spoken. Got hauled up in front of Regional Police Chief and then KGB - not the nicest experience but they were very friendly when they decided we weren't spies. To be honest I think they were just intrigued to see foreigners

7. Re: Flights Dushanbe to Khujand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2015, 05:15