We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for a Longer Trip please

Ithaca, NY
Level Contributor
43 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for a Longer Trip please

I am considering a "longer" trip to UZ this spring April - May. By longer I mean 2-4 weeks (depending on if I go to Turkey first). I have no specific dates set which is another story as far as getting a visa is concerned. I have always traveled independently (with a few exceptions like Bhutan and the Galapagos) and I would prefer to do this in UZ too. I am a US citizen with no Russian language skills. I would love to hear from other independent travelers who have traveled the "standard" route recently without joining a tour (Samarkand-Bukhara-Khiva). I have no problems using a Travel Agent for various services like hotel and transport booking or even a day tour by car. I just don't want to join the standard 8 day tour. I am a photographer and I want the extra time at each location to wander the streets on my own. I would also like to add at least one other not so standard destination.

ANY ideas, advice, hotel recommendations, train / plane booking advice, stories would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Tashkent, Uzbekistan
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for a Longer Trip please

hi,

I've heard that some companies offer interesting tours for photographers. I don't know about the program, but it's something unusual. Try to find such offers....

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for a Longer Trip please

Hi Eddie I think I can help you out here. I traveled completely independently to Uzbekistan. I have a few words of Russian but nothing thats going to make a stimulating conversation. Firstly independent travel in Uzbekistan is fairly easy. They have a very good rail network and if your first port of call is tashkent and you have your travel dates then you can actually purchase all your tickets at tashkent station. The trains especially if you take the cheapest night sleeper in an open compartment are really cheap. Your other alternative is to take shared taxis between the main cities. You have to negotiate a bit but frankly even if they rip you off a bit by our standards its a few cents. Accommodation. I booked nearly all of mine on www.booking.com The average price was between $35-40 dollars for a single and it always included a cooked breakfast. I had no complaints about any of the places i stayed at. There are agencies that can say pick you up at your hotel in samarkand and then take you directly to your hotel in Bukhara but its expensive and frankly doing it on your own is simple enough. All the hotels i stayed in were clean, airconditioned and there was always hot water. Ok off the beaten path. Two suggestions. Firstly try a rural homestay in the Nuratau mountains. It was brilliant and the phote ops are endless. You will have to book this through an agency as its difficult to find the homestays on your own. The homestay makes a great change from all the meddresahs and mosques lovely as they are. Secondly for somethin completely different try Nukus. It is home to the famous igor savitsky museum whihc houses the largest selection of avant garde art outside of st petersburg (it was banned during soviet times). People actually take an early morning flight from tashkent and then an evening flight back just to go to the museum Its brilliant. On top of that they can arrange a tour to moynak to see what the effect of cotton growing had on the sea which has basically receded 170 ksm over the last 50 or so years. It basically killed the town and was one of the environmental disasters of the 20th century. You will see the boat cemetery and go to the museum, and the now ruined fish factory which was once the towns main employer. It was once one of the largest suppliers of fish in soviet times. Frankly it was one of the highlights of my trip to uzbekistan. Uz is a dream for photographers - my main camera broke before i got to uz and i could only afford to buy a little point and shoot - it took nice pics but nothing outstanding which was a shame as i also love taking pictures. I bought my first DSLR when i got home - wow what a difference it makes.

have a great trip

angie

www.angietravels.com

3. Re: Advice for a Longer Trip please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2014, 07:16