We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black market currency

London
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Black market currency

Hello,

My husband and I will be in Uzbekistan for the first 2 weeks of June. Does anyone know what the currency exchange situation is at the moment and whether money is still being freely exchanged on the black market? If not, what are our money options and what are the exchange rates at the moment?

Many thanks :)

Catriona

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Black market currency

hi there I cant tell you the current but I see from the currency converter that the bank rate is just over 2000 which was the same as when

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Black market currency

(to continue) - I was there in october of last year. The black market rate was 2600 and i changed $200. The best place to do this in Tashkent is chorsu market. Dont worry trying to find someone - they will find you. Luckily i got the proprieter of my hostel to change my money. For $200 i got 520,000 som all in 1000 som notes. Its an absurd amount of money and came in several bundles. I ended up hiding it in my rucksack and then transferring several thousand into my purse when I went out. They do not have any coins. Outside of paying for hotels which incidentally at most places accept dollars and probably euros its quite difficult to spend the money. For instance a local bus or the metro in tashkent cost 700 som just to give you an idea. Whatever you do, do not depend on ATM's as theyare almost non existant and generally uzbekistan is not that geared to credi cards.

good luck

angie

www.angietravels.com

Mentioned in this post
Tashkent
Tashkent
Tashkent Province, Uzbekistan
London
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Black market currency

Thank you Angie! You are definitely the authority on Uzbekistan here it seems. Do you mind me asking how many dollars you took with you to last the trip? How many days were you there?

Catriona

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Black market currency

I was there for 12 days. I was in Tashkent, Samarkand, Asraf village (which was a small village of 15 families in the mountains), Bukhara and Nukus (I did a day trip to moynak to see the effects soviet polies of diverting water from the rivers to grow cotton had had on the aral sea. It was one of the highlights and not cheap at $150 but luckily i found someone to share the expenses.. I used either trains or shared taxis to get around. Its very easy to use the trains and its cheap, even the sleepers. You do have to pay in local currency. The shared taxis can seem a bit daunting and you will probably get ripped off but as the money is so ridiculous its never by a big amount. I took one return flight between nukus and tashkent. I had purchased the ticket outside of uzbekistan. My first port of call in Uzbekistan was tashkent which is where I changed $200. I mostly used this money for transportation, food, museum entries etc. It lasted me for the duration as all these things are cheap. I evn had a bit left over for souvenirs at the airport. Out of the 12 days I had a night train and spent one night at the airport. Nearly every hotel took dollars so on top of the $200 I probably spent about $300- 350 extra on the hotels. The average cost for a B&B is between $30-45 and they were nearly all excellent and included a good breakfast. Unfortunately you will not find rock bottom prices for accommodation in Uzbekistan but for what you gewt for $35 or so is very good at the price.

Hope that helps

Angie

Mentioned in this post
Tashkent
Tashkent
Tashkent Province, Uzbekistan
Samarkand
Samarkand
Samarqand Province, Uzbekistan
Bukhara
Bukhara
Bukhara Province, Uzbekistan
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Black market currency

Hi Catriona,

According to a traveler on the LP forums who just returned from UZ the rates are now:

$1=2068 soms (official)

$1=2800 soms (black market)

London
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Black market currency

Thanks so much for the info. We're going for 15 days so I'm hopeful that, going by what you did, we should be able to fit in most of the stuff we want to see. I would like to see the mud fortresses and old Khorezm as well as what you saw.

Good to get a rough estimate of what you spent - thanks very much for that.

Bit scared of the money situation but I guess no choice so I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed!!

How did you feel about the internal flight? Having lived in Ukraine (where I would NEVER take an internal flight) I was going to just take the looong train back from Nukus instead...

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Black market currency

yeah you may well ask about the internal flight. The flight from tashkent to nukus was with a plane with propellors. I literally sat on the edge of my seat the whole flight. Coming back, it was, much to my relief a normal looking plane. Uzbekistan are an EU approved airline which i kept reminding myself of. Bear in mind they are a strictly no frills airline at least on their internal flight and you wont get anything other than a drink.

Mentioned in this post
London
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Black market currency

They will be EU approved for international flights but internal flights don't have to pass such checks. I used to teach English at a Ukrainian aviation insurance company and they said never to fly internal Ukrainian or Russian flights!! :-/

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Black market currency

I am glad I didnit know that at the time.

10. Re: Black market currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 May 2013, 20:35