We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Transportation means between the historical cities

Cairo, Egypt
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Transportation means between the historical cities

I wanna make a tour between the 4 historical cities in Uzbekistan (Samarkand, Tashkent, Khiva and Bukhara), so I wanna know what is the best way to get between them. Is there a train? Bus? Plane?

What do u guys think?

Level Contributor
557 posts
1,210 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Transportation means between the historical cities

There are shared taxis between all cities. They are easy to find and fairly cheap (hotels can tell you where to get them and how much to pay, although some will lie and try to get you to use their expensive taxi service) but can be hot and uncomfortable in the back seats. I got shared taxis for all travel except Samarkand-Tashkent, where I got a very comfortable train (my guesthouse bought the ticket for me one day ahead). The big problem for you is getting to Khiva: Bukhara-Khiva is up to 8 hours in a taxi, so it will be very unpleasant to do it twice. You could instead fly from Tashkent to Urgench (near Khiva) and then get taxis and trains back to Tashkent.

Cairo, Egypt
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Transportation means between the historical cities

Thanks a lot my friend. you are super helpful.

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Transportation means between the historical cities

There is a nice train running between Tashkent and Samarkand, and its not that expensive. You can also get to Bukhara by train. I haven't been to Khiva, so I can't advise you how to get there. I wouldn't recommend getting a taxi between the cities, the roads are broken, it's very hot, sometimes the drivers aren't that qualified. So, I believe the best way to get from Tashkent-Samarkand-Bukhara is train.

4. Re: Best Transportation means between the historical cities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2015, 05:16