We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1. travel safety for 2 women 50+ & 2. Turkey itinerary

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
223 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
1. travel safety for 2 women 50+ & 2. Turkey itinerary

We would like to do a 2 week trip of Turkey next May / June using pubic transportation & staying in 3 or 4 cities/locations to get a feel of different parts of Turkey.

1. Is it safe for 2 women travelling alone?

2. What itinerary is recommended so that side trips can be made from those locations.

We would appreciate receiving advice from anyone who has done such a trip, including women of that age who have done such a trip.

Thank you.

nkt
Ankara, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Ankara
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1. travel safety for 2 women 50+ & 2. Turkey itinerary

It is safer than US in my opinion. It might be about as safe as Canada. But this is for crime only - traffic casualty is higher in Turkey.

I guess a 2-week first-timer trip would be confined to the western half of Turkey. It must include Istanbul, Cappadocia, and Ephesus no matter what. You can find about these top destinations very easily in this forum (yep, that actually means I am too lazy to write about them). Additionally, it may include some of the following:

-Safranbolu (town of perfectly preserved houses from Ottoman era)

-Ankara (not a touristic place, but is on the way from Istanbul to Cappadocia by land, and if you are passing through there's no reason not to stop and see some excellent museums)

-Konya (home of Mevlana Rumi and his order of whirling dervishes)

-Antalya (lots of well preserved ancient ruins and beaches around this city, which recieves most number of tourists to Turkey every year)

-Pamukkale (undescribable calcerous reefs and thermal pools - you must look for some pics of this. Also has a large Roman necropolis.)

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,847 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1. travel safety for 2 women 50+ & 2. Turkey itinerary

We have had many similar posts with the same type pf questions so here are just a few of the posts that might be useful;

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293969-i367-k1258…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293969-i367-k9534…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293969-i367-k6659…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293969-i367-k1141…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293969-i367-k9584…

another helpful post about women travelling in Turkey;

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293969-i367-k1110…

To acess these posts just click on the links above that I have provided.

Have a great trip

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
223 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1. travel safety for 2 women 50+ & 2. Turkey itinerary

Thank you for the references.

We do not want to drive. We are looking to doing this trip without renting a car; that is, by trains, buses, planes.

What is feasible to cover considering that we want to stay in 3 or 4 cities that allow side trips without having to change hotels more than 3 or 4 times.

nkt
Ankara, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Ankara
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1. travel safety for 2 women 50+ & 2. Turkey itinerary

There are buses from everywhere to everywhere, but doing the trips from each base is easier by a rental car - but even without one, you can get around by local public transportation.

The four reasonable bases for you would be Istanbul, a town in Cappadoccia, Antalya, and Selcuk near Ephesus.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,142 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1. travel safety for 2 women 50+ & 2. Turkey itinerary

I am sure you can connect Istanbul, Cappadocia and Ephesus by bus, but I would look at domestic airlines as well. When all was said and done, our airfare to Izmir (Ephesus) turned out to be only slightly more money than the bus.

I agree that you should base yourselves in three to four central areas, and the must see places are certainly Istanbul, Cappadocia, Ephesus, and if time permits somewhere in southern Turkey.

As for your safety, I cannot imagine any country more safe for two women in their 50s than Turkey. I would much sooner take the night bus to Ephesus than drive to my nearest convenience store in Florida. I am sure that statistics would establish that I would be safer in Turkey.

I would, however, encourage you to stay with public transporation. A rental car might be more convenient, but I think you would feel more secure with public transportation.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,847 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1. travel safety for 2 women 50+ & 2. Turkey itinerary

First you need to decide to which areas of Turkey you want to visit. Maybe have a look at some of the previous posts on similar topics as they may give you some ideas as to were to travel to. Also you have to decide as to what tpye of holiday you want to enjoy. History combined with a beach area etc. Flights and over night buses are available to get from one place to another.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293969-i367-k1114…

You certainly cannot see all of Turkey within the time frames of 2 weeks but a glimspes of the wonderful areas.

You might want to consider 2 ways to travel. As for the amont of days it is up to you. One can easily spend 10 days just exploring the Antalya coastal areas ( Lycian coastline ) with the vast amount of historical and rural villages.

1. Istanbul - Cappadocia - Lycian coast

2. Istanbul - Ephesus - Aegean coast - Pamukkale

Where ever you decide to go have a super trip. It will be one trip of a lifetime.

CanMom

PS if you do a search for ''itinerary'' in the search box you will get lots of ideas fro your trip.

Have a look at my Turkey Photos at this link or click on my profile to read my reviews and pictures that I have submitted to the Trip Advisor.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom/

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,847 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1. travel safety for 2 women 50+ & 2. Turkey itinerary

bumping up for travel627, wisconsin...

8. Re: 1. travel safety for 2 women 50+ & 2. Turkey itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 05:29