We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which currency ?

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Which currency ?

What currency should i be taking to turkey,turkish lira,euros or english? i am staying in an all inclusive hotel so i know i will not be needing to take a lot of money but im really not sure what would be best.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,739 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which currency ?

Well Turkish Lira is the national currency and I would recommend that you buy £50 worth or so just to cover anything like taxi, tips, bottles of water or whatever when you first arrive. And then I prefer to draw money out from my UK bank account using a debit card (not credit as they charge too much and interest) from a cash machine as and when I need to (just check first how much your bank will charge you - Nationwide have no charges for overseas withdrawals). Some ATMs allow you to draw out in sterling. If you have some Euros, then you can take these - but I don't see the point in converting from Sterling and then Euros.

It also depends upon what resort you are going to - in the Antalya area there are more Europeans than Brits and so the Euro is quite acceptable, whereas in Marmaris, Bodrum etc, there are more Brits and so Sterling can be used. Some posters on this site reckon that foreign currency gives you greater bargaining power when shopping.

2. Re: Which currency ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 00:16