We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

skii, telemark, snowboard - turkey

Istanbul, Turkey
8 posts
Save Topic
skii, telemark, snowboard - turkey

I have just moved to Ankara and would like to have information about skiing in Turkey. The best places to go for a week or just a weekend?

nkt
Ankara, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Ankara
Level Contributor
1,902 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: skii, telemark, snowboard - turkey

I suppose we'll categorize places by distance.

For a daytrip:

- Elmadag: Within metropolitan area of Ankara, but other than that totally unremarkable. It has only one trail and serves beginners from Ankara.

- Kartalkaya: Second largest resort of Turkey, most of the drive is expressway. Two good hotels. You get free ski pass for half of the lifts for two days, if you stay in the hotel that owns that half of the mountain on the night between those days...therefore it is also an excellent two-day trip. Keep in mind that fridays and saturdays are way more expensive than the other nights. Kartal Hotels are somewhat better, the food is awesome. You'll have to visit here at least twice, so that you can try both sides' trails.

For a weekend:

- Erciyes: This is the highest peak in Central Anatolia, has some good trails, but you will be an ice sculpture.

- Ilgaz: Small resort in beautiful pine forest (I hope it is still so, I have ben there 20 years ago).

For a week (but even the largest resort is too small to ski for an entire week, so I wouldn't suggest more than 4-5 days):

- Uludag: Slightly larger than Kartalkaya for the

- Palandoken: You have to take the plane. I haven't been there. It is said to have long and good trails, will host the Winter Games for universities one of these years. It is very cold.

- Sarikamis: You have to take the plane. I haven't been to this one eiher, it is a small resort, but has a 7km trail. Here you'll freeze (in 1915, ninety thousand Turkish troops froze to death on this mountain). It is not worth the distance by itself, but it is close to Palandoken, so you could make a trip and stay for a few days in Palandoken and stay for a night in Sarikamis... Wait that's a good idea, I should do that too.

There are a bunch of other small resorts that are far from Ankara, but they aren't worth the distance. They serve the same purpose Elmadag does to Ankara.

nkt
Ankara, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Ankara
Level Contributor
1,902 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: skii, telemark, snowboard - turkey

So, what brings you to Ankara?

Istanbul, Turkey
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: skii, telemark, snowboard - turkey

Thank you so much for all information - very much appreciated... Can't wait to do the first Telemark turns in Turkey! Do youjknow when the skiseason start ? Apparently 30 cm in Kartalkaya right now...

Answer to your question: work

nkt
Ankara, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Ankara
Level Contributor
1,902 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: skii, telemark, snowboard - turkey

It varies from year to year. But I wouldn't expect much before mid-December. The end can vary between February and April (One year I skied in Kartalkaya on 23rd of April, but that's probably the extreme limit). Also an interesting small ski resort to note is Saklikent, near Antalya. I heard that if the ski season is long, in April you can ski there and on the same day you can swim in the Mediterranean which starts to warm by then.

Of course western ski resorts (most importantly, Uludag) are suffering badly from global warming.

Istanbul, Turkey
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: skii, telemark, snowboard - turkey

Thanks! I hope for an earlier start as it is 30 cm in Kartalkaya right now... See you in the slopes!

nkt
Ankara, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Ankara
Level Contributor
1,902 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: skii, telemark, snowboard - turkey

I noticed I somehow forgot to continue the explanation for Uludag in the long post. So here it is:

Uludag is slightly larger than Kartalkaya by number of lifts and trails. But it has more hotels than the sum of all other ski resorts in Turkey. I would avoid weekends and public holidays for Uludag, because it will be too crowded at those times. Luckily, most of this crowd are beginners, so they hang around the easy parts, which can be avoided completely. If you look northwest from the peak with tv tower you can see the Marmara Sea. Downsides are being expensive and having a slightly shorter season.

Istanbul, Turkey
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: skii, telemark, snowboard - turkey

Another weekend is saved! Thanks

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: skii, telemark, snowboard - turkey

Hey Turkey-Tele-friends, thanks for this thread. It helps to put the distances in perspective, and the local insight is great! My wife and I will be teaching at Bilkent next year, and we are tele-skiers from Colorado. I know it's not Vail, but right now we live in Ecuador (NO SKIING), and we're looking forward to dropping the knee a bit in Turkey. Let me know if you guys are still around, or know of skiers who will be there next year!

Istanbul, Turkey
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: skii, telemark, snowboard - turkey

Still around but now in Istanbul and will spend a long w-end in Uludag telemarking...

See you in Turkey next year!

Best Helén

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: skii, telemark, snowboard - turkey

I suppose it is too much to hope that there might be a chance for an early start to the ski season this year -- like in early November? :-(