We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Istanbul - Must Sees

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
388 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Istanbul - Must Sees

Are there any stops that are absolute must sees in Istanbul and tell us why you think that?

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Istanbul - Must Sees

As our once great and late Lemonlady had a passion for Istanbul and other places in Turkey I thought it would be nice for you to read her post '' My Top Ten Favorite Things -Istanbul ''

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k9114…

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Istanbul - Must Sees

What time of year are you thinking of going? How long for? What are your likes, interests, budget? Travelling with children?

Are you doing a big trip of all of Turkey - or just trying to pinpoint 1 or several areas?

Without that sort of info it makes it rather complicated to give you good guidance or suggestions!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
388 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Istanbul - Must Sees

We are going in October. We are visiting several cities. There are no children.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
388 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Istanbul - Must Sees

I forgot to say for 14 days and my husband loves history. I am more a castle type person. But we both love exploring.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Istanbul - Must Sees

Hi again....if you love castles just a thought...look into the castles around Anamur and Silifke east from Antalya...Also the castle at Alanya...of course Bodrum also has a wonderful castle to visit...For history the ancient sites along the Lycian Way are worth to explore ...as for Istanbul I will leave that up to those who are better to advise....

nkt
Ankara, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Ankara
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Istanbul - Must Sees

If you are a castle fan I suppose you'll see the city walls.

nkt
Ankara, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Ankara
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Istanbul - Must Sees

Not "in" Istanbul, the following are notable places around it.

Edirne (130 miles linear distance northwest): This city was the Ottoman capital before Istanbul. There are some Ottoman buildings, but Selimiye Mosque dominates the cityscape. It is one of Architect Sinan's masterpieces.

Bursa (60 miles linear south, but double that for land travel and add traffic jam): This is the 4th largest city of Turkey. It was the capital of Ottomans before Edirne. Bursa has thermal waters, and various historic buildings from Ottomans.

Iznik (35 miles linear northwest of Bursa): This is where the council of Nicea gathered - if you are interested in the history of Christianity.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,026 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Istanbul - Must Sees

Hi Whatyousee,

Are you planning to stay 14 days in istanbul, or will you explore more of Turkey?

Turkey has such a long history and every area has its own specific ancient sites. There were Phrygians, Hittites, Lycians, Lydians, Romans, Greeks, the Crusaders, the Ottomans.

I would definitely recommend to stay in istanbul at least 3 to 4 days and then explore a bit of this country.

If you can give a bit more of your plans I am sure more people can help out!

Have a nice day!

nkt
Ankara, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Ankara
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Istanbul - Must Sees

how did I forget... If you like castles, you'll love Rumeli Hisari.

10. Re: Istanbul - Must Sees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 18:19