We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help,Help,Help (please !!)

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
856 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
help,Help,Help (please !!)

Head is spinning from searching web sites and looking at travel brochures.We're first timers to Turkey.Both in our late 40's/early 50's.we want somewhere not too noisy but within reach of noise if we want,somewhere to chill but do trips and walks as well.Any advice on best places to stay.We'd like to do 3/4 nights in Istanbul and then head for a beach/village/mountain somewhere (we don't ask for much do we !!!)Any help would be vastly appreciated.

Villa Kirmizi Lale...
Destination Expert
for Kalkan
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help,Help,Help (please !!)

Hi Seagull - I think Kalkan may fit your bill - especially if you stay within walking distance of the town - it is quite hill - so you need to be prepared to walk (or take a taxi of course!). It has wonderful rooftop restaurants (70+ - but more than enough) - it is very picturesque and quaint - no McD' or Wimpy - nice bars to chill of an evening - beautiful cobbled streets - great nighttime browsing and shopping etc etc It has great places around to visit too - so I think you would enjoy it there!

Check out www.enjoykalkan.com for further information!

Enjoy!

Kas
Level Contributor
689 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help,Help,Help (please !!)

I think Kas would tick all your boxes too. A little bit bigger than Kalkan and more Turkish, it's a "working" town as opposed to just a holiday resort.

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help,Help,Help (please !!)

In Istanbul I highly recommend the Sari Konak Hotel. It's in Sultanhamet - great place to stay. Last summer was my first time in Turkey as well (same age group as you) and this hotel was a beautiful addition.

Christchurch...
Level Contributor
743 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help,Help,Help (please !!)

I would like to suggest Kayakoy. It is a lovely unspoilt little village where the book 'birds without wings' is based on.

You can certainly chill in Kayakoy, but can also take the regular dolmus into Olu deniz if you want more life.

I can reccomend you stay at 'villa rhapsody' a lovely little hotel that we visited last year. (see my review).

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,597 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help,Help,Help (please !!)

Hi Seagull,

haha - you will find everybody on this forum has their favourites!

Kas and Kalkan are both lovely, but are over 2 hours transfer from the nearest airport at Dalaman. You can easily fly from Istanbul to Dalaman, and then I would suggest you think of Dalyan - it is only about 30 mins drive away. It is a lovely small town inland on a river betweeen the sea and a lake. You can get to the beautiful long sandy Istuzu beach by taking a cooperative boat "bus" which meanders down between the reeds

(and underneath the rock tombs carved into the hillsides above), or else you can take a "dolmus" boat and go by road to the other end. There are ruins half way down the river at Kaunos. Up towards the lake there are mud baths, or else there is a lovely boat trip you can take up to the lake and you go to a real good spa place that has a mud bath and thermal bath. You can organise various tours from here too - including white water rafting or jeep safaris etc! The surroundings are nice flat countryside for walking in (but what time of year are you going - cos Turkey gets very hot in the summer and walking anywhere - other than at night - is very strenuous!)

A lot of daytrippers make boat trips to Dalyan in the day, but at night you have it to yourselves! There are a lot of nice bars and restaurants, with food at all sorts of prices.

Dalyan was the first place we stayed the very first time we came to Turkey - and we just fell in love immediately with the place, the country and the people!

Or alternatively just over about 1 hour heading East from Dalaman you have the areas around Fethiye. This is actually a small working town with a marina, old part with shops etc, but nearby there is the beautiful Olu Deniz which again has a lovely beach and the famous "blue lagoon" you see in all Turkey travel brochures. Again nice supply of hotels and restaurants and bars. Nearby is the beautiful deserted "ghost village" of Kaya Koy - nice place to visit and walk around, or indeed to stay. Or in the mountains between Olu Deniz and Fethiye there are Hisaronu (bit of a Brit party town!) and Ovacik - just a bus ride away from the beach at Olu Deniz or Fethiye.

Good luck choosing - I guess you have your work cut out for you - but I am sure it will all be more than worth it in the end - Istanbul is a beautiful and fascinating city, and there is just so much to see in the rest of the country.

Halifax Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help,Help,Help (please !!)

Kalkan, Turunc, or Goecek, would be my top 3, if you want rural village with short bus ride to beach with nice walks Kaya Koy,lots of choice but these are lovely resorts with plenty to see and do but without the mass tourist feel.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: help,Help,Help (please !!)

Yes agree -Gocek,Dalyan and Turunc.

Have you been on Jewel in the Crown and Anatolian Sky websites?

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,809 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help,Help,Help (please !!)

As like all the rest have said..everyone will have there favorite places in Turkey...mine is Cirali and if you fly from Istanbul to antalya it can be easily reached..whereas the other destinations mentioned you are better off flying to Dalaman

Cirali ..located 80kms southwest of Antalya. A great little village, nice clean 4km beach, ruins of Olympos and the flames of "Chimaera".

Not to many people are informed about this little village. You won't find Cirali like any of the places normally mentioned in this forum. No mass tourism or 5 star hotels. Just nice family own hotels and pansiyons. Small shops, quiet bars, restaurants, and no discos. It is more of a place for nature lovers.

Some may find Cirali too quiet but that is what makes it special...

Also my photos from the area.

flickr.com/photos/…

places like Cirali and or Adrasan are not considered ''RESORT'' areas..they are both more rural local villages.

also have a read through some of the older posts...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293969-i367-k1110…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g311315-i4487-k167…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297965-i4654-k168…

9. Re: help,Help,Help (please !!)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 21:17