We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fethiye, Kalkan or Kas?

Denver
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Fethiye, Kalkan or Kas?

As part of an upcoming trip to Turkey, I plan to spend 3 days (for rest, relaxation and culture) along the southern coast between Bodrum and Antalya, preferably in a "cute" fishing village or something of that sort. I initially was planning on Kalkan, but what sounds like a very large influx of british tourists makes it a bit less desirable (not to mention the good hotels don't seem to be available).

Does anyone know of a nice boutique-type hotel, possibly in Fethiye or Kas (or anywhere in the vicinity)? Although I'm travelling for relaxation, it would be nice to be within walking distance of restaurants, etc....as opposed to a stand alone resort.

Thank you for your help

Halifax Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fethiye, Kalkan or Kas?

Excuse me, Kalakn is a lovely little resort, with some amazing hotels, yes most of the tourist there are British, but not the mass tourist brigade, large companies do not travel into Kalkan so a lot own there own villa or do D.I.Y holidays it is far from a rowdy resort, the restaurants are second to none, roof top candle light with Gentle background music.

If you check out exclusive escapes or tapestry holidays that will show you the standard of accomadation although not sure you would be able to book them as it is an English Company.

Now not too sure about Kas only done day trips that is more German I believe. Fethiye is a busling Turkish town lovely harbour but as a working town wouldn't be my idea of relaxation, however Kaya very close is a tiny Turkish Village. Most of the coastel towns along that coast line have a lot of British Visitors, not always a bad thing, now if you had said Marmaris or Kalkan these are Worlds apart, Marmaris been Busy brasher and very British, whilst Kalkan has British Visitors but is a Turkish Town.

Oh you might like to Check out Gocek that is a lovely little resort for a few days.

Villa Kirmizi Lale...
Destination Expert
for Kalkan
Level Contributor
2,399 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fethiye, Kalkan or Kas?

Hi Ryburn is spot on - out of those 3 places - my order would be Kalkan, kas and Fethiye. As Ryburn says - Fethiye is a large bustling working town - nice to visit and shop and eat but not a relaxing break. Kas - you can visit from Kalkan - but again (although that is IMHO - and other people prefer Kas) that is larger working town and not half as pretty and quaint as Kalkan..

Check out www.enjoykalkan.com for further information on this beautiful place - yes - there are british tourists - but not hordes of rampaging english lagerlouts - as Ryburn says - Marmaris and Kalkan - are worlds apart. Kalkan has so many lovely restaurants, lovely places to visit - lots of nice boutique hotels, lovely DIY apartments or villas, great shops and beautiful harbour and beach and lovely bougainvillea lined narrow streets...!!

Cheers!

Denver
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fethiye, Kalkan or Kas?

Thank you for your thoughtful input. I didn't mean to offend, I was just disappointed to find that many of the nice hotels are exclusively booked through the british tour agencies....and I am not british. I will certainly give Kalkan a try.

I do have one more question. I plan to spend time in Bodrum and Kalkan, but does anyone have opinions as to which one I should spend more time in?

Villa Kirmizi Lale...
Destination Expert
for Kalkan
Level Contributor
2,399 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fethiye, Kalkan or Kas?

Hey - no offence taken at all..!! :) Just wanted to put you right about the type of people and places to stay in kalkan!

Well - I'm bound to say spend more time in Kalkan..!! There are loads of places that you can visit from there - Bodrum is also quite a big place - more busier and brash than Kalkan - so it depends what you want out of your holiday!!! That also will have a BIG UK contingent....give Marmaris a miss..!!

I expect some others will have views on Bodrum v kalkan..!!

Cheers!

Denver
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fethiye, Kalkan or Kas?

Thanks Faed (or anyone else),

Do you have any specific hotels that you recommend in Kalkan. Preferably something within close walking distance to the town, restaurants, shops. However, it is for my honeymoon so I am looking for something nice...perhaps a boutique hotel.

Halifax Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fethiye, Kalkan or Kas?

Kalkan and honeymoons go hand in hand no pun intended, but it is so romantic by night, and the beach clubs are relaxing and so laid back. Not sure if the Asfiya hotel can be booked direct but the rooms are amazing, ask these questions on www.enjoykalkan.com and you will get loads of help.

You didnt offend me I was sticking up for Kalkan not English tourists, I hate busy main stream resorts full of english bars, english food, and tack. Therefore I like to go to places that feel local, have culture, nice places to visit, and friendly happy people. Kalkan and some of the other resort tick all these boxws for me. Bodrum whilst it may be ok is still too busy and touristy for me. And at the end of the day it is only for a few days so hope it will be special, where are you going first. Hope you enjoy.

Villa Kirmizi Lale...
Destination Expert
for Kalkan
Level Contributor
2,399 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fethiye, Kalkan or Kas?

The Asfiya would be a good choice - not sure if they have a honeymoon suite... I would also recommend the Meldi hotel - www.meldihotel.com - they don't have a honeymoon suite - but the staff and surroundings will more than make up for that.

Other than that - the Regency - liked by some people....

Again - as Ryburn says - www.enjoykalkan.com will help you answer further specific questions on kalkan... Kalkan is a very romantic place for couples - especially honeymooners - those romantic rooftop restaurants - if you enjoy good food - that is!! In fact - people even get married in Kalkan as it is serene and beautiful and the people are just soooo lovely!!

Enjoy! and Congratulations!!

Kas
Level Contributor
689 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fethiye, Kalkan or Kas?

Hi TKH001

Firstly I would like to say that Kas is NOT predominately a German resort. In fact Kas is very cosmopolitan with regard to its tourist visitors and at the same time manages to retain its Turkish ambience.

There are several boutique type hotels in Kas, and all are within walking distance of many excellent restaurants.

Kas has a very romantic feel and many people return year after year! I,m sure you would not be disappointed.

9. Re: Fethiye, Kalkan or Kas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 21:18