We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tobacco allowance

Scotland
Level Contributor
63 posts
Tobacco allowance

Hi there, can someone please confirm the tobacco allowance for turkey. I read that you are allowed to bring back 200g but can also purchase 500g on way out. Does this mean you can bring back 700g???? Also heard you can go to Rhodes for day and buy there, does this mean you can bring back more than the 200g stated?

Thanks

West Midlands
Level Contributor
315 posts
1. Re: Tobacco allowance

Hi

I’m afraid that you are only allowed to bring back 200 cigarettes and 50 cigars from Turkey.

However you are allowed to buy from the Turkish Duty Free shops (International Airports only) on ENTERING Turkey and this allowance is different - 400 cigarettes, 100 cigars and 500g of pipe tobacco, but you can’t enter the U.K with this amount so you will have to do a lot of holiday smoking.

http://www.travel.com.hk/custom/cus_tr.htm

•200 cigarettes, or 100 cigarillos, or 50 cigars, or 250g of tobacco

•4 litres of still table wine

•1 litre of spirits or strong liqueurs over 22% volume; or 2 litres of fortified wine, sparkling wine or other liqueurs

•16 litres of beer

•60cc/ml of perfume

•£300 worth of all other goods including gifts and souvenirs

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,787 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Tobacco allowance

Benji has given you good information - but these are the Duty Free allowances into Turkey - whereas I believe you are asking about what you can bring back home with you to the UK.

The good news is that the allowances are more generous since 01 January 2009. This is what I found on the HM Revenue and Customs website:

"From 1 December 2008, when travelling from a non-EU country (including the Canary Islands, the Channel Islands and Gibraltar) you can bring the following into the UK for your own use without paying UK tax or duty:

- 200 cigarettes; or 100 cigarillos; or 50 cigars; or 250g of tobacco

- 4 litres of still table wine

- 16 litres of beer

- 1 litre of spirits or strong liqueurs over 22 per cent volume; or 2 litres of fortified wine (such as port or sherry), sparkling wine or other alcoholic beverages of less than 22 per cent volume and

- £300 worth of all other goods including perfume and souvenirs. (£340 wef January 2009).

If you have any more than these allowances you must declare the goods in the red channel or use the red point phone. If you do not, you are breaking the law and we may prosecute you."

So no, from Turkey - as a country outside the EU - you can only import to the UK 250 grammes.

But additionally it goes on to say:

"If you also have tobacco or alcohol goods that you bought in an EU country, you will not have to pay any more duty or tax on these so long as:

- they are for your own use;

- you can show, if we ask you to, that you have paid duty and tax in an EU country, for example by producing the receipt; and

- they do not exceed any limits that may apply to imports of tobacco products from that EU country."

But apparently if you have large quantities of alcohol or tobacco (eg 3 kg of tobacco!), a Customs Officer is more likely to suspect you of "smuggling" and ask about the purposes for which you hold the goods.

So I interpret this as meaning that when you return to the UK from Turkey, you can bring in 250 gr of tobacco bought Duty Free in Turkey, and a further amount of up to 3 kg of tobacco bought duty paid in Rhodes (being part of Greece which is in the EU).

Good luck!

Scotland
Level Contributor
63 posts
3. Re: Tobacco allowance

Thanks for this. You have been very helpful.

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,709 posts
45 reviews
4. Re: Tobacco allowance

Please don't try and bring an extra amount of tobacco from Rhodes after you've been to Turkey. The allowance from Turkey is 250g and 250g alone (no matter what they tell you in the duty free shops!). It is beside the point that you have purchased some in Rhodes because when re-entering the UK, you haven't come directly from an EU country and have passed through a non-EU country. This means that you can only bring back 250g of tobacco from Turkey when you return to England.

I hope that makes sense - please don't risk it, I would hate to see a fellow Rangers supporter get into bother!!

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,787 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Tobacco allowance

Hi Jakki, I was going to say just the same as you - that they will be arriving in the UK from a non-EU country and 250 gr is the allowance. BUT... I then went to look at the Customs website and can only quote what they say there. Quite categorically it says you can import stuff tax paid in an EU country - but I don't know if I would want to argue that to one of Her Majesty's Customs Officers!

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Tobacco allowance

That was always my understanding of the customs allowances too.i.e. If someone goes over to Kos or Rhodes for the day they can buy goods there but must keep reciepts to prove they were bought and paid for on one of those islands and these goods could then be taken into the UK with no problems (provided of course they didn't exceed EU allowance levels) and that these were in ADDITION to anything bought at the Turkish duty free.If you can't give proof of where they were purchased,if challenged on entering the UK,then you will have the goods confiscated.

As you say though who wants to argue the toss with a Customs officer-English or Turkish?I suppose you could carry a printout from the Customs website to back up your claim.....

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,709 posts
45 reviews
7. Re: Tobacco allowance

It's a strange one for sure. The website doesn't really make it easy reading.

BUT there's one thing to remember - there is a duty free allowance from Greece into Turkey (not sure if it's 400 or 600 cigs you're allowed or whatever amount in tobacco) - and if I didn't fancy arguing with a British customs officer, then I sure don't fancy arguing with a Turkish one.

I'm thinking of ringing customs and checking it out with them - it may take a while but if I get to know anything for definite, I'll let you know.

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,787 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Tobacco allowance

That's a point Jakki - you have to consider just what you are allowed to take into Turkey from Rhodes/Greece. Presumibly its the same as from the UK (EUR) 400 cigarettes or 500 gr of tobacco Benji mentions. I don't think Turkey would then care what you were taking OUT of the country (and as you said in the Duty Free shops they will be trying to sell you packs of something like 1000 cigarettes) BUT certainly you cannot bring anything like that into the UK with you if purchased in Turkey - we have had loads of posts in the past about people getting hammered by the Customs in the UK and fined the duty or else the goods confiscated.

West Midlands
Level Contributor
315 posts
9. Re: Tobacco allowance

Hi guys,

I’ve been reading your very interesting comments and I thought that these sites may be of interest.

mymerhaba.com/Customs-Regulations-in-Turkey-…

independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/dutyfree…

Please note that the list of Duty Free allowances that I mention in my earlier post was the allowance from Turkey INTO the U.K. The website I mentioned gave details of Turkey’s Duty free allowance, sorry if my post was a bit confusing.

Turkey only allows you to bring in 200g of tobacco!!!

However this can be topped up to 700g by purchasing 500g of tobacco on arrival at the airports Duty Free Shops but this only applies at International Airports. This means smoking 500g worth of tobacco before returning home.

The suggested maximum combined EU + non EU allowance from Turkey would work out to be 450g providing that you can show a valid EU receipt for 200g. I’m not 100% convinced of this so I wound not risk it.

I’m always getting stopped by customs and I’m sure this has something to do with the scanning of my boarding card at the time of purchasing Duty Free goods. I’m always over the limit because I purchase the whole families Duty Free in one go and then divide it so that no-one is carrying goods over the limit. I’m sure I’m identified by the cabin crew to the Customs Officers who are happily waiting for me when I go through customs. How else can they track me down, surely I can’t look that suspicious every time I travel? Err perhaps it is best that you guys don’t answer that question ha ha!!!

Kind Regards Benji

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,787 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Tobacco allowance

Sorry Benji I apologise - I did get confused! I think it was the fact your list came under the link for Duty Free into Turkey and seeing the "16 litres of beer" - so somehow I didn't realise that they were in fact the UK allowance.