We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to rent a car?

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
When to rent a car?

I understand that Istanbul is a crazy place to drive, but I've driven in LA, NYC, and Mexico City (that's really fun), so I'm not scared to tackle Istanbul. Still, I find public transportation is still often the best way to go. My wife and I are going to Turkey for 3 weeks. The first of those weeks we will spend in Istanbul. Our daughter lives out in Uskudar, but has to work during the day and has suggested that we might enjoy staying at a hotel in the city center more than out near her. This sounds reasonable. But of course we will be visiting her as well. So for evening travel away from the city center, as a foreigner not used to the system nor fluent in Turkish, is it better for us to have rental available or to depend on public transportation?

The latter two weeks will be spent visiting family and tourist sights across Turkey from Izmir to Mersin to Duzce. For that I can't imagine that we wouldn't want a rental. My question is, if we decide we don't need a rental for the first week in Istanbul, would we better off renting one for the entire stay anyway or waiting till leaving Istanbul and asking our daughter (who does not have a car of her own) to help us rent one at some discount rental company?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to rent a car?

I will leave the Istanbul transport to those who know better than I but regarding the rest of your trip you are looking at covering a big area.Petrol is very expensive here so why not consider internal flights?They are surprisingly cheap here.The flight to Izmir is only an hour.Duzce is only a couple of hours(I live there!)so you could hire a car for that.But for Mersin consider flying to Adana,hire a car and drive from there to Mersin instead of right across the country.

After visiting Duzce you can drive onto Ankara return the car there and get a flight to Adana from there,they are regular.And then return by flight from Adana to Istanbul.

There are several national and international rental companies who will allow you to return the car at a different branch.

2. Re: When to rent a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 01:20