We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Domestic Air Travel Problems - Turkish Airlines Sun Express

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Domestic Air Travel Problems - Turkish Airlines Sun Express

I am having a very difficult time booking air travel for within Turkey on Turkish Airlines and Sun Express. I am an experienced world traveler but I can't quite figure out this issue.

The issue: My credit is "supposedly" declined when making reservations on Turkish Air & Sun Express but my bank is not declining the charge. It is most positively an issue w/ the Turkish Air & Sun Express systems - not my card.

My guess: Do some airlines make it difficult for foreigners to book domestic travel in country? I could get the tickets on Orbitz but the tickets are 6 times more expensive on these third party sites.

Any suggestions? I've really tried everything I can think of - calling lots of different numbers with each airline. Trying to book online w/ various credit cards and still no luck.

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Domestic Air Travel Problems - Turkish Airlines Sun Express

I have an American friend who had similar problems with some of his cards but not all. It turned out that his issueing bank had not cleared the card for foreign use, and was protecting him. He had to call his bank to change the status of his card.

You may need to do that also.

California
Level Contributor
213 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Domestic Air Travel Problems - Turkish Airlines Sun Express

This won't solve the problem that you are having but I can confirm that I had no problems booking on-line tickets with Turkish Air and with AtlasJet (yes, I had to call my bank.....but after that the transactions went through).

However, I did have a similar problem with Trenitalia last December and it seemed that the problem was with the site itself (the hotel manager tried to book my ticket with his own credit card and it failed to).

Good luck

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Domestic Air Travel Problems - Turkish Airlines Sun Express

Thank you for that message. I've done that several times. I've even had Capitol One call Turkish Airlines with me to inquire about that and they just won't take my money! Why won't an international 4 star airline take my money?! Everyone else takes my money! :)

DC
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Domestic Air Travel Problems - Turkish Airlines Sun Express

That's really strange. I used my credit card to purchase 5 tickets on pegasus airlines and didn't run into any problems. Perhaps the airlines themselves have an issue with their credit card processing or there's an error in the information somewhere???

Ottawa
Level Contributor
149 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Domestic Air Travel Problems - Turkish Airlines Sun Express

Hi

We just returned from Turkey last night. I had the same problem when I tried to purchase tickets online from Canada. In fact we thought the transaction had gone through online, when we noticed there was no confirmation sent to our email address. I called their Turkish office and spoke to an agent who explained that our Visa had not worked for the same reason you mention. Even though I speak Turkish it was a frustrating experience, but she also spoke English. As two days had passed since our online experience, the price had gone up on the tickets. So we had to purchase at the new price. However, it all worked out, and we were pleased with the rest of our Sunexpress experience. I suggest you phone their office and purchase that way.

Good luck

NZ
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Domestic Air Travel Problems - Turkish Airlines Sun Express

The problem is often with the "clearing" system that the supplier uses. I can use one of my visas - the other one doesnt work. Talking with a credit card operator at the high end level - he told me that different credit cards companies have agreements with different clearing houses and if there is not a common denominator between your card provider and the one TA use the card will be rejected.

TA also told me that its only the last few years that they have allowed credit card payments with international cards and there are still hiccups in the system.

All in all really frustrating.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Domestic Air Travel Problems - Turkish Airlines Sun Express

Thanks everyone. I finally got the tickets booked after much trouble.

What I'll do next time to avoid this problem: Try a different credit card immediately (one citi master card worked, 2 different capitol one cards under different names didn't work well).

Things that I found after spending countless hours on the phone w/ Turkish Airlines and my Capitol One.

1) Turkish Air & Capitol One don't like each other. Capitol One has great customer service. Turkish Air has bad customer service on the phone. If you can't get a card to go through, just try a new one - don't try to work it out w/ your bank - they won't be able to do anything often.

2) It is very difficult to get airline tickets for groups of 9 or more on Turkish Air & Sun Express. Sun Express wanted me to wire money to 2 different banks in Europe in order to get airline tickets and they wouldn't accept any credit cards. I ended up just paying more money and made 2 separate reservations. I did the same thing w/ Turkish Airlines.

San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Domestic Air Travel Problems - Turkish Airlines Sun Express

I have no problems finding flights and making reservations. But various attempts to pay online failed, whether try to pay immediately or just reserve and pay later the credit card payment transaction is declined. My credit card company says no attempts were recorded. When I reach the reservation office by phone the call gets routed to a call center. Any assistance by a human results in an increased fare over the "internet special rate". But the human being cannot accept the credit card information. You're patched to a recorded voice which asks for you to enter the 16-digit credit number. Various attempts fail. Different credit cards, touch-tone or spoken digits, cell phones, etc. Very frustrating!

San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Domestic Air Travel Problems - Turkish Airlines Sun Express

Apparently cards by certain issuers just won't work and will be declined as invalid immediately just by the credit number range. The message should just say to try another credit card.

I got my BofA Visa debit card to work.

10. Re: Domestic Air Travel Problems - Turkish Airlines Sun Express

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2009, 05:18