We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marmaris vs Bodrum

london
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Marmaris vs Bodrum

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to plan a trip to Turkey in the next couple of weeks. I hear Bodrum is the best place to go with most things to do there. Im going with my Girlfriend so we dont want a clubbing holiday as such, but something with a beach and bit of culture.

Problem is, Marmaris is looking a lot cheaper than Bodrum...is this because no one wants to go there? And how easy is it to travel into Bodrum from Marmaris if we wanted to do this a few times? It looks quite close on the map but I know this isnt always the case.

Thanks!

australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marmaris vs Bodrum

Hello Joeguy26, We were in Marmaris early July and it was fantastic. Can't tell you about Bodrum, will be going there next trip to Turkey, we are Aussies. Anyway there was heaps to see, the beach looked inviting and we had absolute ocean front for 50 TL. Great shopping as well. Like you I have found maps to be very deceiving, the closest we were to Bodrum was Cos (Greek Islands) about 15 miles and lots of people did day trips each way. Turkey is certainly much less expensive that anywhere the Euro is.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Kadikale, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Turgutreis
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marmaris vs Bodrum

Hi

I think the greek island that lottie is referring to is Rhodes not Kos, whilst both are close the closest to maramris is Rhodes. But thats beside the point rather.

I've never been to Marmaris so can't compare the two, but if you're looking in the Bodrum area you will want to look at Gumbet for beaches and some nightlife or Bitez for beaches but a more sedate pace.

Marmaris is about a 3 - 4 hour drive from Bodrum.

Sue

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marmaris vs Bodrum

OK, I've holidayed in both and for me, the Bodrum area wins hands down - but that's only a personal opinion (and there'll be loads of people who have the opposite view to me). They are very different resorts. Many people agree when I say that looks-wise, Marmaris looks similar to Blackpool - a long, stretched out resort with a long beach with hotels and restaurants and bars along it.

Bodrum has a more Turkish feel to it, it doesn't have a beach as such although Gumbet is the next resort and started life as the beach for Bodrum visitors.

Although it looks close, it does take quite a while to get from Marmaris to Bodrum - we always hire a car when we're out there 'cos we have a house in Gumbet and often take a drive over to Marmaris - takes us about 2 hours.

For culture, I would think that the Bodrum area may suit you better - the castle is fantastic, there's the mausoleum, Myndos Gate, etc.

Hope you make the right choice for yourselves and have a great hol.

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,758 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marmaris vs Bodrum

A lot of people do go to Marmaris but I think Bodrum is far nicer. If you go to Bodrum you have the whole of the Peninsula to choose resorts from and you can find busy resorts or quiet ones. Marmaris is huge and very busy, although I am sure there are quiet parts. I didn't like it at all when I visited - far too busy and not a Turkish feel about it.

To get from Bodrum to Marmaris is 3 hours so you wouldn't be able to just go in for an evening or something, it would be a long day out.

london
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Marmaris vs Bodrum

Thanks everyone!

It looks like Bodrum or more precisely Gumbet would be a good choice for me.

I do want a lot of culture but of course beach as well. Can someone tell me if the beach on Gumbet is a man-made one? And what is the one thing I can't leave Bodrum without doing?

Kadikale, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Turgutreis
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marmaris vs Bodrum

hi

if you like culture then probably the one thing you can't leave without doing is to visit the site of the Mauseleum, one of two of the Ancient seven wonders of the world in Turkey. Whilst there isnt alot to see anymore you can at least say you've been there.

Another thing would be to find a proper Turku bar (the Gumbet experts can help with that) and sit to the wee hours sipping reki, eating meze and enjoying the music.

Of course theres also Efes (day trips available) which is amazing.

Sue

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
7,220 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marmaris vs Bodrum

Bitez may be worth a look. Nice beach quieter resort than Gumbet or Bodrum but within easy reach of them both.

So you could have your day on the beach, a lovely stroll in the evening or go into Gumbet or Bodrum for a bit of a party!

I went to Marmaris and wasn't as keen on the long stretched out feel to it with the resort along the main road. Again this is only a personal opinion.

As has already been said there is plenty of culture on the peninsula and not too far a trip from Ephesus.

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marmaris vs Bodrum

In Bodrum, it would be silly to leave without seeing the castle if you want some culture. It's a fascinating half-day with the addition of some lovely views from the ramparts.

Another nice thing to do is go to the bus station in Bodrum and jump on a bus going to one of the other places on the peninsula for a visit - if you want quiet Gumusluk or Gundogan may suit, if you want to see a different resort Yalikavak is nice, with Turgetreis having a more Turkish feel.

london
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Marmaris vs Bodrum

Thanks guys! That all sounds good. As you can probably tell, I'm a complete novice and so am relying on all your info which is really helpful.

My girlfriend wants to try out one of the Turkish Baths - can anyone recommend me one in/around Bodrum? Also, I think we'd want to do it together and I know some of them separate men and women so are there any that allow couples?

Also, are there any boat trips we can take?

I'd also like to have a rough idea of prices of these excursions, day trips, Turkish baths etc...

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marmaris vs Bodrum

The Nirvana Hammam opposite the Parkim Ayaz Hotel always gets good reviews. We always use the one next door to the Queens Resort and Bombay Cottage restuarant - 50 lira for the full monty including sauna, steam room, scrub 'n' soak and oil massage - bliss. And yes, you and your girlfriend can stay together all the time (apart from when you're getting changed).

The boat trips on a gulet are great. I always find it better to book one of the ones on offer on the beach - have a good look round, see what's on offer and have a chat with those selling them as some can be quite crowded/noisy whilst others are more chilling/relaxing. Most of them do about five stops (Meteor Hole, Aquarium, Camel Beach, Black Island and somewhere else) although there is an alternative where you go past Orak Island (I think it's a nicer trip but I think it only goes out once a week so you may have to ask about it).