We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extra Day - Ephesus or Istanbul

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Extra Day - Ephesus or Istanbul

We heading to Turkey in October for 10 Days, we are set to spend time in Cappadocia, Ephesus and Istanbul, right now, we are going to spend 2.5 days in Cappadocia, 1.5 days in Ephesus and 4 days in Istanbul, for the mathematicians, i'm calculating in the lost time for flights as we're flying between all the cities.

So, I was wondering, how is this itinerary and should we try to spend 2 days in Ephesus and just 3 days in Istanbul? Or keep it as is? Are there any day trips from Istanbul or Ephesus that would be interesting?

Appreciate the help in advance.

Thanks.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
103 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extra Day - Ephesus or Istanbul

These three locations were the three places we visited during our recent one week vacation in Turkey. Others will disagree, but I think that the way you have it currently (2.5 days in Cappadocia, 1.5 days in Ephesus and 4 days in Istanbul) is a very good plan and I recommend that you not change it. We had a great time at all three of these places and I am sure you will to. Although you didn't ask about restaurants, if you are in Selchuk do yourself a favor and eat at the Ejder Restaurant, it is wonderful. (Sorry, I couldn't help myself.)

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extra Day - Ephesus or Istanbul

I always work out my trip in nights, not days. So what's that 4 in Cappadocia, 1 in Ephesus and 5 in Istanbul? Sounds perfect.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extra Day - Ephesus or Istanbul

Actually it works out to 3 nights in Cappadocia, 2 nights in Ephesus and 5 nights in Istanbul. We were thinking of doing 3 nights in Ephesus and 4 nights in Istanbul... Most people seem to consider Ephesus a day-trip location, besides Ephesus, Artemis and Virgin Mary, is there anything else to see that you could spend a day at?

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Extra Day - Ephesus or Istanbul

If you have a rental car, an extra day in Selcuk area means you can visit lake bafa and Heraklia, and on the way see the ancient sites of Miletus and Prienne.

another option could be Aphrodisias and Pamukkale.

If you are very interested in antiquity and nature, Selcuk and environs would be nice for the extra day.

If you are interested in the hustle and bustle of a very large cosmopolitan metropolis, with the night life, and the shopping, in addition to interesting Byzantine and Ottoman architecture and the serene beauty of the Bosphorus, then pick the extra night in Istanbul.

It is easier for you to say that the day was terrific in Selcuk.

In Istanbul, you need good planning to be able to say later that that was a good day. Actually, having a lamb chop lunch at Beyti and a tasting menu at Changa restaurant would be sufficient to call it a very good day, especially if you combine it to a visit to Rumeli Hisar and Istanbul Modern.

5. Re: Extra Day - Ephesus or Istanbul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2010, 05:18