We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying a home in Turkey

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Buying a home in Turkey

Hi guys,

I am thinking of buying a property in Turkey, any advice would be appreciated.

Best people to buy from, reputable developers etc.

What should I expect to pay on top of the property price for fees etc

What can I expect to pay per month for upkeep and other charges, eg water,electric, taxes etc.

Anythings to beware of.

Not really sure where to buy yet, have been to several places in Turkey and just loved them all.

Was looking at altinkum, prices look very reasonable there and I have heard that there is a big British community of ex-pats there.

(not actually been there myself yet)

Can anyone tell me if they have had any dealings with turkishsweethomes, they look very reasonable.

Any advice would be soooo appreciated...soryy so many questions.

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,573 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying a home in Turkey

Hi Hammerman, good choice!! We bought a house in Turkey nearly two years ago and have never regretted it. Having said that, property purchase in Turkey can be a minefield so do look into the whole thing carefully. It might be worth you having a look at this website http://www.turkishliving.com/forums/ as there's loads of usefuul advice on there. One thing I would say is that if you are buying, do buy something that's already built. Some people have bought off plan and then have found that the complexes are going to be finished.

Make sure that you buy in the right area. We bought on the Gumbet/Konacik border on the Bodrum peninsula 'cos we'd been visiting for years and loved the place. Just make sure that where you want to buy is where you want to be. We bought somewhere that's not right in the main resort area (which closes down in winter and becomes a ghost town) but it is in a more Turkish area which remains open all year. We also didn't buy on a holiday complex as we didn't want to rent our place out and also didn't want loads of different people staying nearby all the time. We bought in a residential area; a small complex of only six apartments where two are owned by British - us and another lady - who plan to spend longer and longer out there, and the other four owned by Turks who live there permanently.

Mind you, if you want to rent a place out, then a holiday complex would probably be more appealing to would-be renters.

Good luck with you search for property - hope you get what you wants and if I can help in any way, just give us a shout.

Jak xx

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
2,097 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying a home in Turkey

aydin didim altınkum there r many british people living

propertys prices from 12.000 till 25.000 pound

lovely beach altinkum

bodrum recommend turgutreis or bitez

both has lovely beachs

propertys prices from 35.000 till 55.000 pound

but bitez more expensive

marmaris yes lively bars and clubs

around natures and many places visit

propertys prices nearly same as bodrum

fethiye hisarönü there are many villas homes

bit expensive place

prices from 60.000 till 100.000

own pool and garden

u can also find calis beach bit more cheaper

but too guiet place

20 minutes by bus to hisarönü

notice this is best time to buy

good luck for u

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying a home in Turkey

Thanks guys

has anyone had any dealings with turkishsweethomes.com, they look very good prices.

Or any reccomendations for companies, especially those that build there own, so no fees in that department at least

Fethiye, Turkey
Level Contributor
303 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying a home in Turkey

Hello Hammerman,

My advice would be to use a lawyer to purchase your property through. It will cost you money to do this, but the lawyer can make sure that everything is in order before the sale goes through. Property is one of your most important purchases in your life.

John

us
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying a home in Turkey

Hi. A friend of mine just bought an apartment in Kusadasi. There are a lot of brits there too. They also have very reasonable prices. ....I have some good recommendations....

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,561 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying a home in Turkey

Sound advice from 1st Sterling and in addition I would recommend that the lawyer you use is one of your own choosing rather than one recommended by the estate agent you use.They will often say "oh we use blah blah company for all legal work,it'll make things quicker/easier for you".Find one yourself that you feel comfortable with,again perhaps via other purchasers recommendations.

Woking, United...
Destination Expert
for Side
Level Contributor
6,034 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying a home in Turkey

Hammerman/Glasgow - great bargains to be had all over Turkey just now - and all advice given above is excellent - I agree ... do not buy anything Off Plan or Brand New Development = all sorts of problems usually and headaches for years to come until - the drainage is sorted out - the Deeds (Tapu) of the new development sorted, etc etc. Yes - do look at www DOT turkishliving DOT com and you will see all the horror stories there! You do get excellent value for money on a re-sale property and sometimes even all furniture included - which again would save you loads of hassle, time and effort - and What You See Is What You Get...

TurkishSweetHomes are for the Altinkum area only. Is that where you want to be? You say you have not even been there. I have. Preferred Side where I am now = better climate - - we get 300 days sunshine each year as due south of Turkey - - they do not. We have flights year round on British Airways and FlyThomasCook virtually daily. Lots of other places in Turkey do not. We have ruins and an amphitheatre and a lovely harbour area + the 2nd longest white sand beach of Turkey - - and only 50 minutes drive from Antalya airport. Also an open air disco right in the middle of the ruins + another right on the harbour by the Lighhouse. Lots of little bars and restaurants dotted about. FABULOUS day trips - to Antalya where you sit under the Duden Waterfalls and have lunch or walk behind the waterfalls; to Alanya - where you can sit on pontoons on the Dim Cay River and be served drinks and fresh trout + beautiful views from atop the castle area; white water rafting in the nearby Taurus mountains for just 17 uk pounds for the day including lunch + you can buy a DVD or photo of the day after, etc etc

You will have to decide (1) Is the home for you and your family to use only? (2) Will you be still working in UK and just coming over from time to time and so may wish to rent a few weeks or months each year? Depending which (1) or (2) will help you decide - the area - the type of property. I would say do not go through an estate agent/emlak now. You will get a far better deal and can see the actual Deeds (Tapu) if you buy DIRECT from say an English person who is returning to the UK. Check the websites and you will see great offers there.

Ankara
Level Contributor
432 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying a home in Turkey

Hi Hammerman,

I guess if I were you, I'd rent a car this next summer, start from Izmir, and go all the way till Alanya, to check places I'd want to have my house. That would take at least 10 days, most probably 2 weeks, I guess. Don't buy from developpers, just buy a second hand house or a newly finished one. The troubles of the former might be huge.

From your older posts, I somehow think Altinkum is not for you. Maaaybe Kusadasi or Marmaris. Most probably Bodrum, somewhere around Fethiye, Kas, Kalkan or Side.

Of course there are lots of things that we dont know: What is your budget, what is your purpose of buying, do you plan to spend there a couples of months or just 15 days each year for the foreseeble future or just for the investment sake of it?

Have a nice searching

runcorn
Destination Expert
for Belek
Level Contributor
473 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying a home in Turkey

I bought a place about 5/6 years ago, do not buy off-plan, do use a lawyer but most importantly of all search turkish forums ans seek advice and ask direct questions.

10. Re: Buying a home in Turkey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2010, 05:20