We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is the BEST place to go in Turkey...

Hampshire
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Where is the BEST place to go in Turkey...

My boyfriend and I are looking into going to either Turkey or Tunisia for summer this year.

I am looking at Turkey and wondering which is the best place to go, for two 20 something people. We don't want a coupley holiday or a night clubbing holiday either we want a balance of historic sites, fun and adventure.

It's a lot to ask, but if people have any tips etc all would be welcome!

Thanks.

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Where is the BEST place to go in Turkey...

You really can't go wrong with Oludeniz as first timers. Plenty of history in that region (it's on the Lycian coast) and adventure (paragliding off Babadag, scuba diving, boat trips etc) and a glorious beach. Go B&B and enjoy all the restaurants and bars there. Incomparable to Tunisia.

Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Where is the BEST place to go in Turkey...

Hi Hippo and welcome to the forum.

Everyone has their own favourite places, so expect loads of different replies.

All resorts in Turkey can offer the balance you need, the differences are how far you need to travel from your accommodation to get to them.

My Recommendation would be to stay in the Fethiye area.

Calis, Hisaronu, Ovacik, Olu Deniz or Fethiye itself, all are good bases to get quickly to all the things you have mentioned.

The local airport is Dalaman and the transfer time is normally between 1-2 hours.

To help you decide check on where your local airport has flights to,

and compare prices and transfer times.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
31 reviews
3. Re: Where is the BEST place to go in Turkey...

I'd agree with previous poster re Olu Deniz as first timers.

Loads of historical sites around this area. Close links to Fethiye, a traditional working Turkish town, with a weekly market, a great harbour, with boat trips aplenty and much more besides.

Loads of eating places in OD, and would agree with B&B basis, to enjoy all the different bars and restaurants.

Any further questions on Olu Deniz? - post on the OD forum, it's very friendly and people will be only to pleased to help.

Openwide x

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: Where is the BEST place to go in Turkey...

Try Icmeler which is the friendliest holiday resort in Turkey with over 500 Restauraunts to suit all tastes of cuisine, Prices, Breakfast British or Turkish 5 to 6 Lira,£2 to £2.50 Lunch 6 to 8 Lira £2.50 to £3.00, Evening meal from a set course menu of between 3 to 5 courses with plenty of choice's 15 to 23 Lira £7 to £9.

Things to do when in resort below.

Trips times and prices are below.

Below are the trips that can be purchased from the many Agency shops in Icmeler

Below is the maximum price you should expect to pay for trips, But do remember to haggle for them as you could easily get the trip for a lot less than below.

Turkish Bath 30 Lira.

Jeep safari 30 Lira Departs 9.30 Returns 17.30

Bays and Islands boat trip 20 Lira, Departs 9.30 Returns 17.30.

Quad safari 35 Lira Departs 08.30 Returns 18.30

Diving 65 lira Departs 07.30 Returns 19.00

Cleopatra Island 40 Lira Departs 09.30 Returns 18.30.

Rafting 65 Lira Departs 07.30 Returns 19.30

Gokova 40 Lira Departs 09.30 Returns 18.30

Dalyan 35 Lira Departs 08.30 Returns 18.30

Pamukkale 75 Lira Departs 06.30 Returns 19.30

Ephesus 85 Lira Departs 06.30 Returns 20.00

Pamukkale & Ephesus 2 day trip 135 Lira price includes 2 breakfasts 2 lunchs, Dinner, Entrence fees, Hotel and Insurance Departs 06.30 returns following day 19.30.

Village tour 30 Lira Departs 09.30 Returns 17.30

Turkish night 40 Lira price includes return transport to the hotel dinner and unlimited drinks, Departs 19.30 Returns 00.00

Talk of the town 50 Lira Price includes Set dinner and 1 local drink, Departs 19.30 Returns 00.00

Fishing Trip 30 Lira various times available

Horse safari 30 Lira Various times available

Rhodes 75 Lira Departs 07.30 Returns 18.00

Aquapark 27 Lira Various times available

With most of these trips you are picked up directly from your Hotel/ Apartment and returned to them also.

Yes you will get better prices than the above as this is for General information only dont be afraid to ask them for reductions particularly if your booking 3 trips or more.

Enjoy the Sunshine and great Turkish hospitality should you choose Turkey as your destination.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Where is the BEST place to go in Turkey...

Thank you all very much for your help!

Last year choosing a holiday was so easy, this year not so easy!

Thanks again : D

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,709 posts
45 reviews
6. Re: Where is the BEST place to go in Turkey...

Can I chip in with a suggestion that you look at the Bodrum peninsula? Loads of areas to choose from, not far from Bodrum airport so you haven't got a long transfer to your chosen resort - lotsof things to see and do with good transport around the peninsula so that you can get a good idea of the area and see the differences between the various places.

Some good trips - for fun and adventure try the jeep safari, for fun have a go at the water sports on offer, for historic sites try Bodrum Castle or a trip to Ephesus - there's loads more on offer as well.

You're probably even more confused by now so take your time and do your research - and come back and ask more questions if you need to.

JAK xx

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: Where is the BEST place to go in Turkey...

My goodness, rwb47, I hadn't realised that the role of a DE was to sell their resorts. You posted almost exactly the same already - is that a standard cut-and-paste you've got there?. Where's the history at Icmeler? One of the best bits of Knidos is in the British Museum in London.

Please be a little more objective and maybe get out and see a bit more of Turkey.

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,945 posts
16 reviews
8. Re: Where is the BEST place to go in Turkey...

Well there are lots of different resorts which you may find suitable and obvioulsy everyone will tell you their favourite places.

I have spent most of my time on the Bodrum Peninsula so I will give you an idea of what some of the resorts are and see what you think:

Gumbet - the liveliest resort on the Peninsula, not a big resort in size but lots of bars, restaurants and shops, a nice beach, mainly shingle but some sandy parts, plenty of watersports

Bitez - the next resort along, smaller and much more laid back than Gumbet. The beach is nice, sandier than Gumbet and there are lots of nice restaurants and a few bars and shops.

Turgutreis - lots of nice restaurants and bars but not as lively as Gumbet, nice sandy beach, weekly market, plenty of little shops.

Ortankent - a more tradtitional Turkish resort, beautiful beach, lots of good restaurants, a couple of bars and shops but may be a little too quiet for you unless you want a really chilled holiday

Yalikavak - small, laid back resort set around a small harbour, nice restaurants, a few bars and shops, long but narrown beach. Again may be a little too quiet but worth a look at.

All the resorts on the Peninsula are within an hours drive of Bodrum airport, which means you don't have a long transfer like some of the other areas.

It is easy to get into Bodrum from all of the resorts too by bus, Gumbet is just 10 minutes away, Bitez 15 minutes, Ortakent 25 minutes, Turgutreis and Yalikavak about half an hour. Bodrum is a great town to visit, there is lots to see there, plenty of shops, a weekly market and loads of different restaurants.

If any of the resorts sound interesting to you just pop over to the Bodrum Peninsula forum and have a read through the posts there or ask us any questions and we will try to help.

Have fun choosing your holiday!

Kedi

Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
143 posts
113 reviews
9. Re: Where is the BEST place to go in Turkey...

I would agree with the Fethyie suggestion, and consider including a few days on a gulet cruise as a change from being in a resort. We met a great mix of people, mostly 20s and 30s, good food, interesting places to explore, great value.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
27 reviews
10. Re: Where is the BEST place to go in Turkey...

Yes davidm1, I copy and paste that Information, But when im in Icmeler I take the trouble and use my holiday time to find out these prices that may be of help to other forum Members.

As a De expert we are under no obligation to post, We are nominated to help and assist other forum members as best we possibly can.

HippoHead, Icmeler does not have any historic sites of note, But 8klm away you will find Marmaris castle which is well worth a visit.