We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
340 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Safety

OK, I realize many might roll their eyes at me asking this, but given it's proximity to some countries that are having troubles currently, I feel I should ask-

Is it safe to travel in Turkey for Americans?

I am planning a trip in May.

I have traveled to many countries by myself, including Egypt, Jordan, Sinai, Israel, etc and normally have zero concerns, but given the recent events in the Middle East, not too far from Turkey, I thought I'd ask. Thanks.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,408 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety

You'll be fine traveling around Turkey. No need to worry.

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,586 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety

You'll have no problems travelling around Turkey - unless you're planning to go to the very far east of the country which is not advisable.

Jak xx

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety

I too am going later this year, Orlando!

Just to help put your question in a little perspective:

Two weeks ago, people were frantically fleeing Egypt, what with all the horror stories we've seen on TV.

This week, people are fleeing Libya. Which way are they headed? The border crossing to Sallum, Egypt.

Stoke on Trent
Level Contributor
199 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety

You're not on yer own mate having the same thoughts!! Have already booked and am thinking if I've done the right thing. But knowing that this country lives in the 21st century and we are not a threat and of course feed the economy ie their jobs. I think we should be OK!! If anything did kick off I should imagine it would be in Ankara or instanbul!!!

Fingers crossed. x

Bootybezza. x x x

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,586 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety

Also don't forget that Turkey is a democratic country run by an elected government, with an election to take place later this year - nothing like the way the countries in the news have been run.

Jak xx

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety

The problems in the Middle Eastern Arab countries of Tunisia, Egypt and now Libya are of no relevance to Turkey. Turkey is a parliamentry democracy with regular elections. The above countries were dictatorships. The political situation is completely different so you have no need for any concerns with this regard.

7. Re: Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 11:15