We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

16 Days Turkey and Spain

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
26 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
16 Days Turkey and Spain

We are planning a 14 day trip (with 2 additional days for travel from NY) for 4 adults. We hope to go to Madrid, Barcelona, the Canary Islands and Istanbul, Cappadocia, and perhaps another city in Turkey. We would appreciate any advice from those who have had experience with a trip like this; names of reliable tours, airline flights, the best way to get from one place to another, hotels, etc.

Thanks so much!

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 16 Days Turkey and Spain

Wow, that's one heck of a trip you're planning ... and I'm not sure that it's gonna be feasible in 14 days; or if it's feasible, if you're actually going to see anything other than airports, planes and hotel rooms!!

To be honest, I would concentrate on either the Spanish part you want or the Turkish part so that you could do justice to either of those countries.

Turkey is such a vast country, with so much to see and do, you could easily spend the 14 days there alone (similarly the same applies to Spain and the Canary Islands).

The flight from New York to Istanbul can be done non-stop and takes just under 10 hours so realistically that's a day gone (one out of the 16 you plan). Also don't forget that Turkey is 6 hours ahead of the US.

Istanbul is such a city that even to scratch the surface would take 3-4 days; there's so much to see and do to even begin to appreciate the city. Then you could fly to Cappadoccia; again 3-4 days are required to do it justice (so we're up to half your holiday gone already). You could then look at visiting the south coast of Turkey (again, there's many regions to choose from); where you stay would depend on what you like to see and do (from relaxing to visiting cultural/historical sites); or if you wanted to visit another city in Turkey, you could look at somewhere like Konya to see the whirling dervishes.

I suppose you could fly back to Istanbul and then visit Spain on your return to New York - but it would only be a flying visit; I suppose you could do both Madrid and Barcelona if they were just short views of each city. I'm not really sure you could fit in the Canary Islands as well!!

I don't suppose this helps much but I just wanted to let you know that Turkey is such a fascinating country, it really would be a shame to just fly in and fly out, doing a whirlwind tour and not being able to appreciate the country because you were in a rush.

Jak xx

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 16 Days Turkey and Spain

I haven't been to Turkey yet, but I have been to Barcelona and Madrid. It would be a terrible injustice to these fabulous cities to give them such a brief buzz. As for Turkey, we're giving it the most time we've given any country because there's so much to see.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,695 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 16 Days Turkey and Spain

Hi travrel,

I would divide those 16 days as 6 days in Spain and 10 days in Turkey. And for those 10 days I would divide them as 4 days in Istanbul, 3 days in Cappadocia, and 3 days at the Mediterranean coast. Here is a previous thread for 10 days itinerary for Turkey: "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293969-i367-k4203…". Also for 10 days, Tom Brosnahan recommends the following: "turkeytravelplanner.com/itin/…index.html".

good luck,

enigma...

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 16 Days Turkey and Spain

I know both countries well, having lived and worked in Spain for 25 years and there is no way you can do justice to any of your proposed destinations in 14 days, just a jakkigers has said.

You'd need at least 4 days in Madrid alone (with three major museums of art plus nearby Toledo and Segovia) and pretty much the same in Barcelona. Do you have any specific reason for going to the Canaries? They're as far away from Madrid as is London and have nothing much in the ways of cultural or historical attractions. You would also have to go back to Madrid or Barcelona to get a flight to Turkey - and flights between the 2 countries are expensive and would take up one day of the 14.

If you really do wish to visit both countries then I would give up any idea of spending time in resort areas (i.e. the Canaries and the Turkish Med. Coast), just concentrating on Madrid, Barcelona, Istanbul and Cappadocia.

5. Re: 16 Days Turkey and Spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 16:16