We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to in Midyat

North Carolina
Level Contributor
202 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to in Midyat

Hi All

We are planning to go from Mardin to Midyat one afternoon, spend the night there, see Hasankeyf the next morning, and return to Mardin that afternoon. We're considering renting a car for this.

Our question is, how easy/difficult is it to drive this route and around Mardin? Any information would help. We would like to have an easy drive and find our way around easily.

Thanks

Anne

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to in Midyat

Anne, the route to Midyat is very easy, if rather uninteresting. I do not know about lodging possibilities at Midyat, but i do know that there are not any decent restaurants. We were directed to a restaurant outside the city on the road to the famous monastery to the East when we asked around.

We found that leaving Mardin early in the morning will give you ample time to visit Midyat, Hasankeyf and the monastery to the East of Midyat and return to Mardin for dinner, before dark.

We rented from Avis, which is managed by the Ford dealer close to the airport. We were given an older Ford Fiesta, used as a demo, and it was OK. At least we had some choice when we were driven to the dealership. The local agencies may not give you much choice, if you are hiring from the airport. Otherwise, your hotel (we stayed at one of the Erdoba houses) may be able to negotiate a good deal with a local agency.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
202 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to in Midyat

Thanks Otherchelebi. Did you drive in Midyat at all? Was it easy to get around? I'm not sure how big a city it is. We just don't want to deal with crazy traffic or get lost trying to find our way around.

Thanks for any information you can provide

Anne

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to in Midyat

Midyat is a small town. We did drive in Midyat. Not much, because we did not think there was much to see. We stopped at a cafe built inside an old building for some tea. we also visited some silver shops and did buy handcrafted jewellery, having wife and daughter with me.

There is little traffic in Midyat. It is easy easy to drive despite the narrow streets.

If we had not already been at Mardin we probably would have found more places of interest in this city, but Mardin is so special that Midyat unfortunately loses any glamour it could have.

4. Re: Driving to in Midyat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 06:16