We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel during Kurban Bayrami

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Travel during Kurban Bayrami

First, I'm not worried about the museums, banks or post offices. And I'm not worried about Istanbul. I've read enough to know what of them will be open and on regular schedules and what will be closed. I'm more concerned about what I might experience once I get away from Istanbul.

Our plans include travel in the Black Sea area and then south to the Mediterranean Coast during the first two weeks of November. Kurban Bayrami is right in the middle of that time. I'm both excited about that and hesitant.

My only experience with major holiday travel is in the US. Here I'm used to finding office buildings closed (both governement and non-government buildings) and hotel open, But it isn't so uniform for other establishments. Finding an open restaurant is still a snap in the large cities, but once one leaves the cities and get into the rural parts of the country, most of them close up to be with family. The same is true of gas stations which will be openned or closed depending on whether in a high traffic area or not. And retail shops and minor attractions will most generally be closed for one day, but not the entire holdiay period.

So, should I expect to find similar unevenness as I travel across Turkey?

My expectation is that outside of cities like Bartin or Mersin to find little more than the hotels open on Sunday, November 6. But that the rest of the time, unless "mom and pop" simply closed their shop to go visit family, that I shouldn't have problems with anything else being closed the rest of the time other than the banks and post offices. So activities like sightseeing shouldn't be curtailed and necessities gasoline and food should be readily available even in the small towns except for that one Sunday.

Is that a fair assumption?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel during Kurban Bayrami

Yes,you've hit it on the head.Some smaller places maybe closed on the first day or just in the morning and some not at all(such as small bakkals and gas stations) but you have pretty much got a true impression of how things are outside Istanbul during this period.

If you intend to travel by bus or plane at either end of the Bayram dates then make sure you book as soon as you know your exact travel dates as transport does get very busy.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,387 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel during Kurban Bayrami

Hi turkce....,

You need not worry about closures during the bayram at the country and small towns because those are related to government offices, schools and banks. All the rest are pretty much open. Gas stations and markets will be open and except for some stores that may be closed the first day of bayram, all the rest will be open. Of course all hotels are open (and full most likely). I would not hesitate to drive thru the country during the bayram. The roads will be busier during the bayram.

happy driving,

enigma...

Edited: 21 September 2011, 09:22
Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel during Kurban Bayrami

Sounds great!

My niece has suggested going to Cappadocia over Kurban Bayrami. What do you think? She says it's only about 3 hours from her home in Mersin, and we were had also been thinking about going there even before she mentioned it. But I'm wondering if it might be a bit crowded during the holiday period and had originally thought of maybe going the weekend following Kurban Baryarmi.

Any opinion?

4. Re: Travel during Kurban Bayrami

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 13:16