We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Drive Turkey

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
145 posts
202 reviews
Save Topic
Self Drive Turkey

We are planning a self-drive trip from Cappadocia to Bodrum, through Antalya, Pammukale, Aphrodisia, Ephesus, and Lake Bafa. Any info would be appreciated, especially about the Lake Bafa region, which doesn't seem to have a lot of press.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self Drive Turkey

Here is some info on beautiful Lake Bafa and the village of Kapı Kırı which has several nice B&B's you can stay at.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Bafa_Nature_Park

http://www.bafalake.com/eng/index.htm

trekearth.com/gallery/…

This sounds like a lovely trip you are planning,enjoy!

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,886 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self Drive Turkey

picturegal, welcome to Turkey. There are a few suggestions I have on the self drive.

The Turkish roads are very good and well signposted. However make sure you do some defensive driving within the traffic rules.

Gas is expensive but car rentals are very moderately priced. So make sure you rent an economy car that is real stingy on gas.

You would need a good road map and the best one I know is "Turkey Euro Map by Geo Center", available from Amazon. Here is also a good online map from Turkish Highways Directorate: "kgm.gov.tr/Sayfalar/…Maps.aspx".

You can also get a navigation sytem like Garmin loaded with Turkey maps. It will be useful especially at small towns..

Make sure that you get a KGS card for toll roads from the car rental agency.

good luck on Turkish roads,

enigma...

Edited: 23 January 2012, 07:28
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
145 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self Drive Turkey

Thank you for the info. I have made reservations at one of the pensions.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
145 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self Drive Turkey

Thank you for your information. I have Michelin highway map of Turkey . Do you know if this one is accurate? Also, I have printed out a number of Google maps of specific locations - mainly the hotels I have reserved - and am emailing the maps to the hotels asking if they are correct. We do have a Garmin GPS and plan to get the maps of Turkey before we go, although I have seen reviews that say many of the maps are not accurate.

I do have a question though. Everyone says to drive defensively. I'm not sure what this means. We always try to be very aware when we drive anywhere. I have driven in Greece (starting in Athens) and my husband has driven in Italy (starting in downtown Rome). Can you please clarify what you mean by "defensively." Thanks.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self Drive Turkey

Basically be assertive;don't sit there giving everyone the right of way out of courtesy as you maybe would at home...you'll sit there all day whilst the whole world takes advantage of you and the drivers behind you curse you from pillar to post.Having driven in Italy and Greece you already have a very good idea of how you need to be here.Drive as if you own all the roads and have a perfect right to do what you want!But this is mainly for town and city driving,out on the open road it is mostly fine with free moving traffic,although it will be much faster than you are used to at home.

Try to avoid driving in rural area's at night where you can encounter animals(and local yokels!) with no headlights etc.,.

Garmin and other direction devices have very mixed results here with many complaining of being sent the wrong way or trying to find non exisent roads etc..Road signage is good and getting better all the time.This combined with a decent road map should be enough.Check your maps well before setting out on each leg and I'd be surprised if you lost :)

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,886 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self Drive Turkey

picturegal, to me defensive driving in Turkey is obeying all the traffic rules and not being very aggressive like some of the crazy drivers. Anticipating what others may do might be helpful also. If you have driven in Italy and Greece you should have no problems.

In the countryside I would avoid night driving simply because there would be too many heavy TIR trucks on the roads, and they do think they own the roads.

I do not use a Garmin in Turkey but some people here at the forums did and they were very happy. On further details of driving in Turkey, have a look:"tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293969-i367-k3899…", and "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293969-i367-k5039…".

good luck,

enigma...

Los Angeles...
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Self Drive Turkey

Did you end up using Garmin Turkey map? I am also considering to do that... Please let me know how it worked for you and where did it work?

Los Angeles...
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Self Drive Turkey

Hi,

I am driving from Antalya to Olympos to Fethiye to Pamakule.

1) How helpful will a GPS be for travelling on this city-to-city route and how helpful will it be for travelling within each city on this route?

2) If GPS will be helpful, which one is the best GPS for this route?

The two famous ones I know are TomTom or Garmin. I live in the U.S. Will it be a worthwhile investment to download the Turkey map on my Garmin or TomTom Gps?

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Self Drive Turkey

ypu really dont need GPS..along the coast..the road are good and well signed..just have a good map or google maps the area before you travel

Driving to Cirali or Olympos from Antalya- You will drive south out of Antalya following the signs for the Kemer and Kumluca road. It will take about 1 1/2 hours to Cirali from Antalya. Once past Kemer it will be about 30kms more. Stay on the main highway and once you pass Ulupinar, Cirali will be the next turn off on the left hand side of the road. There are large highway signs posted - Cirali - Yanartas, Olympos beach. From this junction off the main highway you will travel down on the village road. There are at first a lot of curves and then it will flatten out towards the bottom.

If you are going to Olympos instead of Cirali take the second right hand turn off from the main road ( D*400 highway ) this turm off will be about 1.5 hkms after the Cirali junction

after Cirali or Olympos it is again easy tofollow the D*400 highway to Fethiye.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
18,150 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Self Drive Turkey

sari, as we are also driving quite a bit in Turkey, I was interested in your response. "Be assertive" sounds more "offensive" than defensive. lol

my spouse has also driven in both Italy and Greece. he became so comfortable in Greece he began driving like the locals and has the speeding ticket to prove it. do not want to repeat that mishap!