We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Balloon Ride and Troy

Kalamazoo
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Topic
Balloon Ride and Troy

Hey guys I'm planning a week stay in Istanbul at the beginning of April and want to head to the Cappadocia Valley for a morning hot air balloon ride. I will be on a tight budget so I need the cheapest possible option, I saw a company online that has rates as low as 130 euro. Does anyone know how to get there, public transportation?, how long it takes and how much it would cost? Also any cheap balloon companies?

The other thing I would like to venture out of Istanbul for is to see the old city of Troy, for which I have similar questions, how to get there, how long it would take and how much..

Thanks a lot guys!

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,659 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Balloon Ride and Troy

YeScoot, The best way to go to Cappadocia from Istanbul is to fly there (to Kayseri or Nevsehir). Turkish Airlines, Pegasus Airlines, "www.flypgs.com" and Anadolu Jet has flights to Kayseri or Nevsehir. The fares are very reasonable and you can book online. The flight takes about an hour.

I do not recommend the cheapest balloon ride as safety is a paramount factor. I chose Butterfly Balloons and enjoyed it very much. Have a look at my review and pictures: "tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g297983-d1…".

The best way to visit Troy is by bus. For details, have a look: "turkeytravelplanner.com/itin/1to5Days/troy_b…".

good luck,

enigma...

Edited: 03 March 2012, 17:51
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,491 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Balloon Ride and Troy

YeScoot,I think you've got your geography a bit mixed up here.Cappadocia is not a valley on the outskirts of Istanbul;it is a large region of some 800 kmsq. in central Anatolia containing many valleys.

To get there you can fly in 80 minutes or take the bus in 11 hours.If you fly factor in time to get to the airport,be there an hour before take off and then between 30 minutes and 80 minutes to reach Goreme depending on which airport you fly into-Nevşehir or Kayseri...and then the same in reverse to return to Istanbul.

Bus is a little cheaper than flying generally but you'll probably arrived dog tired unless you can sleep on buses.

Balloon flights take place at sunrise so you need to be in the region the night before.Flights can be found around 130-140€ if you are paying cash but certainly no cheaper.

In a nutshell getting to Cappadocia cannot be done quickly or cheaply and any balloon company prepared to charge less than 140€ is not to be trusted IMHO or at least regarded with great caution.

Going to Troy can be done by bus.There are regular buses every hour or so to Çanakkale.It is a 6 hour journey each way so this is better done as an overnight side trip.This can be an economical trip so go for it but forget about Cappadocia unless you are prepared to stay there for a couple of days to justify the time and cost.

With only a week to play with(5 days if you go to Troy)I think you will have more than enough to see and do in Istanbul.Indeed in a week you can barely scratch the surface :)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Balloon Ride and Troy

Enigma,

Thanks so much for your brilliant photos and enticing review of Cappadocia and Butterfly Balloons.

It appears that Turkey has endless opportunities for unforgettable adventure and breathtaking scenery. It would seem remiss for one to pass up this experience when scheduling a trip to Istanbul, if time and opportunity permits. What could be more perfect in a visit to Turkey? Istanbul! Cappadocia! I would think a few days on the marvelous coastline?

I have visited and marveled at the islands of Greece. Yet photos of Turkey's beaches and resorts seem to at least rival, if not surpass, many of them.

Recommendations?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Balloon Ride and Troy

YeScoot, When I was in Cappadocia in January we got prices of 100 euros for a balloon flight but didn't do it as I wasn't willing to pay more than 200 lira (worked out to be 230 lira) for an hour flight. Next time when I'm in the region hopefully the lira will be higher and workout to be around 200 lira.

I can't wait for the Turkish Lira to increase in value so these service operators in touristic regions can start charging people in liras instead of ripping off tourists in euros. Lets face it they only charge in euros due to the stronger currency as they end up raking in more money.

Turkey is unlikely to join the EU cause we are Muslims. I hope to be proven wrong.

From Istanbul you can either catch a bus or fly to Nevsehir or Kayseri airports both of which serve Goreme, Urgup and the Cappadocia region.

From there you can fly, bus out of either to Canakkale which is where Troy is located.

Regarding balloons as I was there in January there was quiet a bit of snowfall in the mornings so balloons couldn't take flight however they then flew in the afternoon when the weather was settled.

Travel times and costs

Plane

Istanbul to Kayseri or Nevsehir 50-150 lira including check in/out/flight time 4 hours

Kayseri or Nevsehir to Canakkale 100-250 lira including check in/out/flight time 6-7 hours (transfers via Ankara or Istanbul)

Bus

Istanbul to Goreme 60 lira 11 hours

Kayseri or Nevsehir to Canakkale 75 lira 15 hours

Kalamazoo
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Balloon Ride and Troy

Thanks for the replies guys! that is a lot of good information. The time and money is a prohibitive concern for me. I will be flying into Turkey from Cyprus. Is there anyway I can fly into a city close to the valley and then take a bus, saving both time (vs the bus ride from Istanbul) and money?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,659 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Balloon Ride and Troy

YeScoot, as I explained to you at your other thread, you can fly from Cyprus to Ankara and take a 4 hour bus ride from Ankara to Cappadocia.

enigma...

7. Re: Balloon Ride and Troy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 16:18