We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice/transportation/itinerary needed for Turkey!!!!!

Toronto, Ohio
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
advice/transportation/itinerary needed for Turkey!!!!!

Hi,

I intend to visit Turkey for 2 wks in late June. I don't drive and intend to use all public transportation for my trip, ie, plane/bus/train. The places/cities I would like to visit are: Istanbul, Ephesus,Pamukkale for Travertine & Roman bath, Goreme for Open-Air Museum and Antalya for beaches. Can someone give me advice for best mode/route of travel for best economic and shortest time/distance travelled from one place to the next. FIRST TIME TO TURKEY. Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice/transportation/itinerary needed for Turkey!!!!!

Fly from Istanbul to Izmir

Bus or train from Izmir to Selcuk which is where Efes is

Bus from Selcuk to Pamukkale

Bus from Pamukkale to Denizli

Fly from Denizli to Kayseri or Nevsehir

Bus from either to Goreme

Bus from Goreme to Kayseri or Nevsehir

Fly from Kayseri or Nevsehir to Antalya

Bus from Antalya to Side or Alanya which are the 2 best beach areas of Antalya

Bus back to Antalya

Fly from Antalya to Istanbul

To compare cheap domestic flights in Turkey use this website

http://bulucak.com/

Once you have an idea then log directly on to the airlines page to make your booking

Buses are in abundance in Turkey. There is no prebooking or buying online tickets with them. You simply go to the bus terminal on the day you intend to travel or a day before to find out bus times and purchase your ticket.

Do Istanbul last after you have acclimatised to Turkey. If you do it first you will be overwhelmed.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Toronto, Ohio
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: advice/transportation/itinerary needed for Turkey!!!!!

Hi ResmeN,

Thanks so much for your quick and detailed info. Much appreciated!

Is it possible for you to give me estimated travel time from one place to the next? I try not to move around so much to save travel time but to stay in max 4 places only and use them as base to travel around. Any recommendation on places/cities/hotels/B&B to stay as base? Thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice/transportation/itinerary needed for Turkey!!!!!

Sure thing et

Fly from Istanbul to Izmir (1 hour)

Bus or train from Izmir to Selcuk which is where Efes is (1.5 hours)

Bus from Selcuk to Pamukkale (4 hours)

Bus from Pamukkale to Denizli (45 mins)

Fly from Denizli to Kayseri or Nevsehir (1 hour)

Bus from either to Goreme (45 minutes)

Bus from Goreme to Kayseri or Nevsehir (45 minutes)

Fly from Kayseri or Nevsehir to Antalya (4 hours-transit via Istanbul)

Bus from Antalya to Side or Alanya which are the 2 best beach areas of Antalya (1-2 hours)

Bus back to Antalya (1-2 hours)

Fly from Antalya to Istanbul (45 minutes)

Here are placed that I stayed in over the last 2 months that I can also recommend to you

Istanbul http://www.uyanhotel.com/

Goreme http://www.thecavehotel.com/

Side http://www.hulusihotel.com/

Alanya http://www.bera.com.tr/alanya/ana.php

I stayed with family or friends at other places so can't suggest them maybe others can.

Places to base your stay in order

Selcuk (accessed via Izmir airport)

Goreme (accessed via Kayseri or Nevsehir airports)

Side or Alanya (accessed via Antalya airport)

And lastly Istanbul.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice/transportation/itinerary needed for Turkey!!!!!

İnstead of making your base in antalya for beaches try Cirali instead..1 hour southwest from Antalya..and the best beaches are from Antalya to Fethiye

Cirali is a small village located about 1 hours drive southwest from Antalya and boasts a beautiful secluded 4 km beach, the ruins of Olympos, the flames of the Chimeara, as well as a protected area by the WWF for the nesting of the Caretta sea turtles.

No mass tourism or 5 star hotels. Small shops, quiet bars, restaurants, and no discos. It is more of a place for nature lovers and chilling out. ..

also have a read here with this new article from Travel and Leisure as it highlights Cirali as one of the Best Secret Beaches on Earth;

travelandleisure.com/articles/…9

Toronto, Ohio
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: advice/transportation/itinerary needed for Turkey!!!!!

Thanks ResmeN for the advice.

I don't have 2 months in Turkey like you. Is it possible to eliminate some of the flying? I find getting to/from Airport is a time waster and usually the whole day is wasted. Can I break some of the air with bus/train with max 5-6 hrs of travel each day and stay in different base cities but also accomplished all the sights I want to visit? The Nice beach area in Antalya is so out of the way. I don't necessary need to go there for beach. Is there a nice beach somewhere near one of the sites I will visit and I can do my beach/relaxation there?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice/transportation/itinerary needed for Turkey!!!!!

et that's actually a good idea. Omit Antalya completely and instead do your beach time in Kusadasi which is only 20kms away from Selcuk.

I'll replan your itinerary

Fly from Istanbul to Izmir (1 hour)

Bus or train from Izmir to Selcuk which is where Efes is (1.5 hours)

In Selcuk you can catch a minibus to Kusadasi (1/2 hr trip) when you want to go for a swim

Bus from Selcuk to Pamukkale (4 hours)

Bus from Pamukkale to Denizli (45 mins)

Fly from Denizli to Kayseri or Nevsehir (1 hour)

Bus from either to Goreme (45 minutes)

Bus from Goreme to Kayseri or Nevsehir (45 minutes)

Fly from Kayseri or Nevsehir to Istanbul (1 hour)

Now you can spend more time in Istanbul at the end or alternatively you may plan a trip to climb Mt Nemrut. You can do this independant or arrange thru a tour agency in Goreme (1-2 day trips range from 100-200 euros)

Toronto, Ohio
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: advice/transportation/itinerary needed for Turkey!!!!!

Hi ResmeN ,

Thank you for all your most helpful advice. For now I am fine. I need time to chew on the info for a little while and will contact you again if I need further advice (I am sure I will)

Thanks again.

Toronto, Ohio
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: advice/transportation/itinerary needed for Turkey!!!!!

Hi ResmeN,

I am back for some more of your advice.

Is there a direct bus 1) from Izmir to Kusadasi, how long? 2) Kusadasi to Pamukkale, how long?

There is no direct flight from Denizli to Kayseri or Nevsehir, all via Istanbul, such time waster. Is there train/bus from Pamukkale to Goreme directly? how long?

Thanks advance for your help.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,555 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: advice/transportation/itinerary needed for Turkey!!!!!

Izmir>>Kuşadası-1 hour buses run every 30 minutes.

Kuşadası >Denizli-3 hours buses several times a day but ask at the otogar when you get there for definate times.You can also take the bus to Selçuk(25 minutes away)and catch the train from there to Denizli.

http://www.seat61.com/turkey

Buses from Denizli to Goreme-11 hours(leaving approx.21.45) with Nevşehirliler Seyahat or Metro Turizm,both good quality companies.

BTW,flying from Ist>>Izmir try to book with either Onurair or Atlasjet as they both provide a free shuttle bus from the airport into Selçuk.

Toronto, Ohio
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: advice/transportation/itinerary needed for Turkey!!!!!

Thaks Sarikanarya for the quick reply.

Is there an interesting town between Kusadasi and Goreme that I can stay over for one day to break off my 14 hours bus journey? How about Konya? Is there anything interesting to see/do there to warrant one day stay to break off the journey. If I stay in Konya, how long the bus ride from 1) Kusadasi to Konya and from 2) Konya to Goreme?