We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkey trip in May 2012

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Turkey trip in May 2012

Hi, my husband, 4 yr old son n I are planning a trip to Turkey in May this year. We plan to start in Istanbul, fly to Cappadocia and then take an overnight bus to Antlya. We want to then hire a car to do the Coastal stretch from Antalya to Fethiye and then onwards to Pammukale and then return back to Antalya to return the car and take a flight back to Istanbul.

We were wondering if anyone can help us with information on taking a gullet cruise in the coastal belt. We would like to do a one night cruise only since my husband does tend to get seasick and a longer cruise may not be advisable for him. Does anyone know of a cruise that starts from Antalya ideally? Or Fethiye? Should we take an overnight cruise or should we do a day trip on the boat? Does one need to book these? Which companies are recommended?

I have been researching this for weeks now and can't seem to get the right information. Any help will be great!

Rutu

1. Re: Turkey trip in May 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2012, 12:58
Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turkey trip in May 2012

Along the Antalya coastline..always a car is preferred..but the local buses are cheap and available..take the car and you can make a day boar trip anywhere along the coast...or a night cruise..

One can easily spend 10 days just exploring the Antalya coastal areas ( Lycian coastline ) with the vast amount of historical and rural villages with lovely beaches..The entire coastline of Antalya ranging from the city of Antalya to Fethiye is a wonderful way to spend a vacation. And some with spendid beaches and historical areas. Here are some great places to visit south west from Antalya - Phaselis, Cirali, Myra, Kekova, Kas, Kalkan, Xanthos, Patara, Telmessos, Fethiye, Oludeniz, and Kayakoy.

A couple of places along the way from Antalya I recommend are Cirali, Kas, Ucagiz ( Kalekoy ), Patara and Kaya Koyu near Fethiye.

Çıralı is an agricultural village in the southwest of Turkey in Antalya Province. It is close to ancient ruins of Olympos and Chimaera permanent gas vents.

If you want to see a place were time has stood still in Turkey and experience what Turkey used to be like about 15 to 20 yrs ago before the influx of all-inclusive and package holidays of the last decade, then Cirali is the place for this..

Cirali is a great little village, nice clean beach and a mix of sand and pebbles, ruins of Olympos and the flames of "Chimaera" the world''s oldest and best-known natural "eternal flame".

No mass tourism or 5 star hotels. Just nice family own hotels and pansiyons. Small shops, quiet bars, restaurants, and no discos. It is more of a place for nature lovers and chilling out. It can be too quiet for some if you are looking for more in the way of and actiive nightlife..

my photos ;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom/sets

Cirali is centrally located between Antalya and Kas and you can travel farily easily to visit nearby historical areas.

In Cirali there are ..boat trips, snorkelling, long walks, day trips to nearby Kemer or Kumluca to visit local markets, biking, and of course relaxation...not to mention the historical ruins to explore..plenty to keep ones self busy for a week or two.

Also nearby to Çıralı is the Ulupınar region, which is rich in rivers and creeks. Cirali / Çıralı is one of the last unspoilt natural areas along the Antalya coastline.

Kaş is a small fishing, yachting and tourist town, and a district of Antalya Province of Turkey, 168km west of the city of Antalya. As a tourist town it is relatively unspoiled.

Patara (Lycian: Pttara), later renamed Arsinoe was a flourishing maritime and commercial city on the south-west coast of Lycia on the Mediterranean coast of Turkey near the modern small town of Gelemiş, in Antalya Province. It is the birth place of St. Nicholas, who lived most of his life in the nearby town of Myra (Demre).

Kaleköy (literally "Castle's village" in Turkish; ancient Lycian: Simena), is a village of the Kaş district in the Antalya Province of Turkey, located between Kaş and Kale, on the Mediterranean coast. Kaleköy faces the island of Kekova, and can be reached only by sea.

The village lies amidst a Lycian necropolis, which is partially sunken underwater. Kaleköy is overlooked by a Byzantine castle, built in the Middle Ages to fight the pirates which nested in Kekova. The castle contains a small theatre.

Kaya Koyu is an old Greek settlement 13km from the city centre. Kaya or Karmylassos was home to a sizeable Greek community until the population exchange treaty signed in 1923 between Turkey and Greece.

Bodrum
Destination Expert
for Bodrum City
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turkey trip in May 2012

You're probably best off taking a day boat trip out of Antalya or Fethiye, as you wouldn't be able to cover any distance overnight before you had to return to the harbor. Gulets are extremely stable and sea sickness is uncommon unless there is exceptional distance or weather involved.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turkey trip in May 2012

Once you have taken your overnight bus to Antalya either after or before you rent your car query about a day gulet trip. You could do this trip anywhere on the coast between Antalya to Fethiye such as Kemer, Finike, Kas etc.

5. Re: Turkey trip in May 2012

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 March 2012, 16:25
Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turkey trip in May 2012

oh guys this is getting a bit crazy..I posted something about kemer and marmaris..and you could get a cruise anywhere along the coast..

WHO İS DELETİNG my posts ?? if this is the case I will STOP giving any useful information on trip advisor.

and I have been a long time poster !!!!!!!!! I am angry right now

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turkey trip in May 2012

his really urks me..as I have been posting for many years since 2006...and I cannot believe that my posts are to be found .. inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

sorry for the rant but when I provide useful inforamtion just for it to get deleted I am angry..and it is the local cummunity that clicks the posts to be removed..so who now has a grudge with me..tell it to my face and not behind my back.

again sorry for my rant and taking over the thread just a bit..once I can collect my thoughts I might be able to remember what I wrote in reply to the poster before..

8. Re: Turkey trip in May 2012

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 12:17