We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choose between Turkish and Italian Beach Areas

New York
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Topic
Choose between Turkish and Italian Beach Areas

Hello. I am travelling to turkey and italy for three weeks on a honeymoon, and I have thought about hitting the beach areas in one or both. As there is so much ground to cover between Turkey and Italy, I was wondering if I should only choose one beach area and exclude the other or at least focus on one area and quickly pass through the other. I would love beautiful beaches, but in an area that is accessible to really good food, has a local culture that hasn't been drowned out by tourism, and fun things to do or explore with relative ease. At least a casual nightlife would be good also. Any thoughts from people who have experienced both? I have tinkered with the idea of Sicily in Italy, but I am not sure if that is the best destination given the short time frame. Thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choose between Turkish and Italian Beach Areas

Both countries are fairly large and it really depends on what your interests are.

Turkey has nice beaches on offer and not to mention holidaying there would be cheaper than in Italy.

You have 4 beaches to choose from at your convenience in Turkey. Some are not as touristic as others.

Food is plenty I'd imagine in both countries.

Perhaps you could hit the beaches in Italy and then tour other areas of Turkey off the beaten path such as Trabzon (Sumela Monastery, Uzungol), Adiyaman (Mt Nemrut), Sanliurfa (Halfeti), Batman (Hasankeyf), Agri (Ishak Pasa Palace) & Istanbul.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,809 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choose between Turkish and Italian Beach Areas

have a read here

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293969-i367-k26…

welcome to the forums..and you will get lots of different replies for various places and resorts in Turkey..as everyone has their favorites..and this is a typical question posed to the forums daily..nice beach un-touristy...so you will have to do your own homework to find the right place for your holidays..

If you want to see a place were time has stood still in Turkey and experience what Turkey used to be like about 15 to 20 yrs ago before the influx of all-inclusive and package holidays of the last decade, then Cirali is the place for this..

Cirali is a great little village, nice clean beach and a mix of sand and pebbles, ruins of Olympos and the flames of "Chimaera" the world''s oldest and best-known natural "eternal flame".

No mass tourism or 5 star hotels. Just nice family own hotels and pansiyons. Small shops, quiet bars, restaurants, and no discos. It is more of a place for nature lovers and chilling out. It can be too quiet for some if you are looking for more in the way of and actiive nightlife..

my photos ;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom/sets

Cirali is centrally located between Antalya and Kas and you can travel farily easily to visit nearby historical areas.

In Cirali there are ..boat trips, snorkelling, long walks, day trips to nearby Kemer or Kumluca to visit local markets, biking, and of course relaxation...not to mention the historical ruins to explore..plenty to keep ones self busy for a week or two.

3. Re: Choose between Turkish and Italian Beach Areas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 04:17