We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EU travel insurance

Atherstone, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
EU travel insurance

Hi, Im just trying to sort out some travel insurance for our holiday next week to Olu Deniz but im not sure if i should put down Europe or Asia. Help!

Chester, United...
Destination Expert
for Dalyan
Level Contributor
2,782 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EU travel insurance

It should be Europe,but last year some ins.firms decided that Turkey was not in Europe.So shop around for best deals.

rotherham
Level Contributor
3,767 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: EU travel insurance

We use direct travel ins,,we have an anual policy as we go away 3 times a year..Turkey comes under europe with these but as turk0file says some companies have changed Turkey to worldwide...

WENDY

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EU travel insurance

I've never taken travel insurance despite spending at least a month in Turkey or other countries every 2 years.

Id rather spend the extra money on my holiday.

Turkey is geographically located in both Europe and Asia.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,983 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: EU travel insurance

>>I've never taken travel insurance despite spending at least a month in Turkey or other countries every 2 years.<<

You had better hope that you never get taken ill or seriously injured while you are on holiday. Medical evacuation back to Australia is extremely expensive.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,169 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: EU travel insurance

Thomson and Thomas Cook have always asked me about my insurance on booking a holiday and asked me to supply my policy number.

Not taking out travel insurance is crazy!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: EU travel insurance

I got seriously ill when I was in Fethiye 2 years ago had a heatstroke. Went to the local hospital where they fed some medicine to me via a tube. Spent about 6 hours there got better and left after paying 500 lira.

Didnt have the hassle of dealing with any insurance company before or after for a payout.

That was the one and only time I have ever needed medical attention while on a trip. I have spent 6 years abroad on trips of my 30 year life.

I'd rather keep the money in my pocket and donate to people in need in Turkey rather than giving it to the greedy travel insurance companies.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,169 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: EU travel insurance

As you are only 30 its unlikely you will become ill but as you get older and have pre existing conditions it is important to take out insurance as soon as you book a holiday.

Its not that expensive and last year I had 5 holidays and had an annual policy which only cost £75.

There was a programme recently on TV about an Emergency department in Spain.A man had to pay £6000 for spinal surgery as his insurance company wouldnt pay because he hadnt informed them of a recent scan.

His other option was to pay £12,000 for an air ambulance to get him home.

Anyone seeing this programme surely people will realise how having insurance may be the cheaper option.

Some banks offer free insurance to their account holders.

Edited: 27 March 2012, 01:19
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: EU travel insurance

Valid points there and I agree with where you are coming from.

I dont have medical, health or ambulance cover in Oz either.

House, car & motorcycle insurance are the only 3 I have.

Who knows what the future holds though. I'm eventually going to die somewhere.

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,586 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: EU travel insurance

ResmeN, you are very lucky - or at least you have been so far. Last year, my husband took ill while we were out in Turkey - had to be taken to hospital, have an MRI scan, drugs, the lot and then we had to fly home early. All this was taken care of by our travel insurance company without any hassle. Without insurance, who knows what we would have done - the bill would have been in the thousands!! Our annual travel insurance had only cost us £150 for the two of us and this covered us for being in Turkey for 3 months at a time as we were long-stay visitors.

I know you say you are eventually going to die somewhere. Sadly my husband died when we got back home - but at least his family got the chance to see him before he did.

Honestly, travel insurance isn't that expensive - please take it out next time!

Jak xx

10. Re: EU travel insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2013, 09:23