We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkey itinerary /change in transport comment please!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
266 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Turkey itinerary /change in transport comment please!

travel from 3 nights in istanbul to Izmir then train to Selcuk & onwards..we are now thinking about hiring a car at Izmir airport & drop off at antalya airport..we were going to hire a car for a day in Fethiye then again in Antalyla..expensive for daily hire..but now think we will hire one for the 11 days down the coast. Petrol is expensive but I think the freedom a car will give us will take away some of the hanging around for bus etc & give us a chance to drop in to a few places on the way that we would otherwise miss out on .We do realise it will cost a lot extra but for the freedom away from bus schedules etc

I figure not bad..any pros & cons out there.?..we are quite good drivers & have had a quote for $305AUD for 11days plus fuel small car maybe $150AUD max for petrol? Have looked up KM per litre $2.80 AUD for fuel only a dollar more than here !!and it works out at that..sort of..thanks in advance Heather & Alison

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turkey itinerary /change in transport comment please!

Having a car to travel that route is an excellent way of doing it. You'll be able to visit all sorts of places that would be difficult/impossible to get to by public transport. Well worth the extra cost, I think.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
266 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turkey itinerary /change in transport comment please!

davidm1...yes it will give us more options & we both do not like rushing to make a bus or if we do waiting around etc ..this way we can have more control on our time..& really its not a huge extra addition to the budget ..the car we got quoted for is (or like) a ford fiesta..OMG so tiny but very fuel eco...its to get from A to B...3.8 litres/100KM..rounded..that better than mine at home by far!!! prices for petrol in Brisbane 2days ago $1.75AUD a litre..very bad...someone must be making big bucks ...somewhere!!

Edited: 11 April 2012, 13:18
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turkey itinerary /change in transport comment please!

Yes,I agree.Provided it falls in your budget do it and if you can share the driving so much the better.The route can be done easily by bus but you can waste time waiting for buses and some places are near impossible to reach.

Flexibility vs.economy is always a personal decision but sometimes it is worth paying the extra,especially on a special trip.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,037 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turkey itinerary /change in transport comment please!

Of course, always my ideal way of traveling to be most flexible. Petrol is expensive, but with an economic car you get a long way with a full tank. We can drive 800 kilometers from home to İstanbul, and have a few days petrol left for in the city on one tank.

Enjoy your holiday!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
266 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turkey itinerary /change in transport comment please!

Well thats it by car we go!! Its a road trip! :)..We can go via Saklikent gorge on the way to Patara so that gives a lot more time in that area.....will be able to lunch in Kayakoy..otherwise would have missed that lovely spot..also we can stop along the way rom Kas to Antalya at a nice spot...Will have to look into insurance to make sure it is full comprehensive cover etc.. Thanks for great advice from all!

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turkey itinerary /change in transport comment please!

'Sigorta' insurance comes as standard,this is like 3rd party,fire and theft.For a small daily sum you can up-rate this to 'kasko',which is like fully comprehensive and includes all glassware too(think road chipppings!).For anyone planning on doing more than just local driving it is worth that little extra payment for the peace of mind.As you are planning Izmir>>Antalya it's defo worth it.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,809 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turkey itinerary /change in transport comment please!

Hi Mae,

I wanted to add some useful info here..just in case and god forbid

In Case of Accident:

for insurance purposes..the accident should be reported to the police or gendarme. That report has to be certified by the nearest local authority.

.if you have ANY kind of accident or damage to the car (whether small or great ) you MUST CALL THE POLİCE or local MİLLİTARY JANDARMA to complete an accident report......with this completed report the car rental company can claim the damages to the insurance company...

without any report the cost of the damages will have to be paid by the renter of the car.

again god forbidbut something you should be aware of :=)

have a nice trip

Brisbane
Level Contributor
266 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turkey itinerary /change in transport comment please!

Thanks wise advice..will look up taking kasko insurance..hopefully we will not need it..better to be safe than sorry!

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,809 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turkey itinerary /change in transport comment please!

Hi again Mae,

<<<Also we can stop along the way rom Kas to Antalya at a nice spot<<<

I would hope that you would re-think your plans to visit Cirali..I think if I remember correctly..where were going to visit cirali in Sept..but changed your mind..if you have the extra night along the way you should stop off there for the night..visit the ruins, and the flames of the chimaera:=))

this way it also breaks up the journey from Kas to Antalya..

10. Re: Turkey itinerary /change in transport comment please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 11:40