We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkish Visa price increases for Australians

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Turkish Visa price increases for Australians

You obtain your Visa in to Turkey at the airport when you arrive. The cost is different depending on where you are from.

Australia has been heavily penalised for some reason, the cost has recently (15May2012) increased from USD20 to USD60 (EUR45). USA is still USD20and New Zealand is free!

Only USD and EUR are accepted.

66 replies to this topic
Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turkish Visa price increases for Australians

wow that is a shocker..they are up their now with the same visa cost for Canadians !!

2. Re: Turkish Visa price increases for Australians

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 10:35

Currency Creek
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Turkish Visa price increases for Australians

Thanks for that info.

What a joke- the Turkish Govt won't accept their own currency!

Did you mean USD/Euro cash only? I guess they don't take credit cards?

Edited: 13 September 2012, 15:20
4. Re: Turkish Visa price increases for Australians

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 10:35

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turkish Visa price increases for Australians

I can't recall whether cards were accepted, however there were a lot of cranky people and some were heading off in search of an ATM. My recommendation would be to have cash at the ready.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turkish Visa price increases for Australians

Yes, I got caught out on arrival into Istanbul airport on 1 August 2012. Despite being advised by travel agents and the embassy that the visa cost for Australian Passport holders would be $US20, I was obliged to pay

45 Euros at the counter! Yet, NZ passport holders are exempt... not sure why the sudden increas?

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turkish Visa price increases for Australians

hi Creety,

I think it is in response to the australian govt increase in visa fees for those turkish travellers going to Australia ·

Diplomatic protocol requires that nobody ever explain the reason for anything directly, but I can only presume it's tit for tat, as Turkish citizens wishing to visit Australia have to fork out A$110 for a tourist visa.

melburn.bk.mfa.gov.tr/ShowAnnouncement.aspx…

It writes

"Announcements from Consulate General

Visa fee for Australian citizen at Turkish border gates, 22.05.2012

The fee for a multiple entry visa for three months issued at the Turkish border gates in favour of Australian citizens holding ordinary passports have been revised to 60 US Dollars or 45 Euros. The new rate is effective as of 15 May 2012. Travelers wishing to visit Turkey are kindly advised to take the above mentioned changes into consideration. "

Such moves are often bilateral. Could it be the case that the Australian government did the same for Turkish citizens or that it imposed more stringent entry requirements on them

The fee imposed is also in direct relation to what your home country charges residents of the country you are visiting. As well, if your home country raises it visa fee for nationals of a country, most likely that country is going to raise the fee for you.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turkish Visa price increases for Australians

Thanks for that info canmom. To be honest, I hadn't even considered the reverse situation (ie Turkish people visiting Australia), but if what you say is correct then I can understand why the visa charge for Australians has increased. The trip this year was our second visit to Turkey and we really love the place, we will probably go back at least once more. With knowledge of the visa cost in advance, it won't be an issue - we had euros on hand so it wasn't a problem, just annoying. We will now transfer our annoyance to the Australian visa cost which caused the change :-)

Alkmaar, The...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Turkish Visa price increases for Australians

It would've been nice to have known this upfront.

I went to turkey twice this year,(from Holland) the first time early may ! and just got back from Bodrum today.

It definitely came as a shock, especially when my girlfriend, who is Dutch only had te pay the 15 € fee and me the 45 €.

60 € in total and the guy tried to stifle me over a tenner as well ...

Anyway, there was no other option as to pay the fee and yes, NO credit card facilities in Bodrum...All cash only.

For those who are going to turkey, have fun but bring cash.

Furthermore, try to pay in Turkish lira as much as you can when you are in Turkey.

Beware of the smooth talker, and don't say yes to anything without having looked around first, something most of you who have been there will now.

Edited: 13 October 2012, 15:39
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Turkish Visa price increases for Australians

Just crossed the border and I paid with Turkish Lyra no problems.

Reply to: Turkish Visa price increases for Australians
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted