We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanliurfa, Nemrut and around

Istanbul
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Sanliurfa, Nemrut and around

I fly to Sanliurfa tomorrow and want to explore the area. Not sure how many days I have, as I haven't booked a return flight and may make my way back to Istanbul slowly by train/bus combination.

I'll be on my own. I've never travelled in Turkey alone before but I speak intermediate Turkish and will obviously dress appropriately.

Just a few questions in case anyone can help.

Is it easy enough to explore Sanliurfa on my own? I'd rather not do a tour unless I can help it.

It's been recommended that I wear long skirts. I don't have many and don't find them comfortable for walking around in. Would baggy trousers or jeans be ok? How about knee length dresses with leggings?

I'm thinking of going to Harran, Nemrut and anywhere else interesting in the area. Is there anywhere else worth visiting?

I'm into walking off the beaten track and photography. Any suggestions?

Hope someone can help.. :-)

Kusadasi Private Ephesus Tours
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Archaeology Tours, Shopping Tours
Daily Istanbul Tours
Private Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Shopping Tours, City Tours
Ephesus Shuttle Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
HtR Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Balloon Rides
brisbane
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanliurfa, Nemrut and around

im here travelling in sanliurfa at present and can advise that pants will be fine, as long as you're largely covered up. there are a lot of local buses to get around urfa that are cheap.ive just finished a tour with nemrut tours today 22 september and our tour guide changed our plans to avoid Harran because there have been 'local difficulties related to the Syrian civil war nearby.. HOwever a cafe owner said it was fine there and we should not miss it. Maybe take a local tour to be on the safe side if you're keen?

the other nearby site i'd recommend is Gobekli Tepe if you like history and archeological sites. It may be hard to get to by public transport and they're still in the process of uncovering the site but i found it fascinating given its age.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanliurfa, Nemrut and around

Hi, I'm planning a trip to Turkey and contemplating using Nemrut Tours out of Cappadocia to see Mt Nemrut. can you provide some feed back on your experience with Nemrut Tours.

3. Re: Sanliurfa, Nemrut and around

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2014, 05:15