We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kibyra, one of many spectacular unknown sites

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,037 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Kibyra, one of many spectacular unknown sites

We passed by a brown sign "Kibyra" going and coming from İstanbul to Fethiye so many times but never actually stopped there.

Since we realized it even does not make the trip a bit longer and we had time we finally made it there. The antique Roman site is so spectacular and worth a visit that İ would like the share some pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/villarhapsody

İ hope you like them!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
959 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kibyra, one of many spectacular unknown sites

What a great site! And how fantastic that you managed to catch a glimpse of the mosaic floor before it disappeared under the sand. (Glad to know that it’s being well protected during renovations though.) I almost enjoy those sites I just happen on more than the big ones I plan for. Thanks for sharing!

Crnomelj, Slovenia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kibyra, one of many spectacular unknown sites

amaizing!!! Thank you for sharing with us

greetings

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kibyra, one of many spectacular unknown sites

I'm glad you managed to see some of that mosaic, Jeanne. The "world's largest" - trt-world.com/trtworld/en/newsDetail.aspx…

I didn't get my rental motorbike that close, I parked it by the theatre.

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kibyra, one of many spectacular unknown sites

P.S. Here are some of my photos of Kibyra when I visited in September as a day trip from Villa Rhapsody - www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=22306

A nice day's motorbike ride up to Cameli and then over to Golhisar and back down the D350.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,037 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kibyra, one of many spectacular unknown sites

Well, it is absolutely a wonderful site David. We enjoyed it so much. We thought to have a quick look, but before we knew we were hanging around pretty long.

Like Sagalassos the views from up that high mountain are simply stunning.

İ was so surprised how well everything still looked!

We took the other road, over Kemer. İt is less than 80 kilometers from Fethiye to the junction to Gölhisar (Just passed the junction to Seki) and then 40 more kilometers inland through really beautiful landscape!

İ am very glad we have been there! Next on the list is Aizanoi near Kütahya, can't wait!

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,037 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kibyra, one of many spectacular unknown sites

Great pictures David, and thanks for the link you posted! They told us after 5 years the mosaic is going to be revealed again.

norwich
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kibyra, one of many spectacular unknown sites

Fantastic photos,thanks for sharing them with us all.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,597 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kibyra, one of many spectacular unknown sites

Superb photos, thanks VR. David, Is the stadium the same size as the one at Aphrodisias?

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kibyra, one of many spectacular unknown sites

According to Google Earth measurements the stadium at Aphrodisias is 225 metres, Kibyra 190 metres. They were also doing some work on the stadium at Kibyra when I visited this year, eventually the whole site will be amazing. It was mostly all under earth when I first visited in 2006 - you can see here the stoa before, which is now totally cleared - wikimapia.org/…b

This time I was shown round by an epigrapher from the German Institute in Istanbul, which was great, he pointed out a whole lot of carved texts on the theatre. Apparently there are loads more texts to be found in the scrub between the odeon and the stadium.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,597 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kibyra, one of many spectacular unknown sites

Thanks David. Its a large site - I bet you were impressed by the work they had achieved in 6 years.