We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Dec - 1st April Winter tires!

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,471 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
1st Dec - 1st April Winter tires!

A new law is already being implemented, and amongst a few other new rules, since the 1st of December every car needs to have winter tires. Cars are being checked especially in areas with lots of snow like Bursa, Bolu but also near Fethiye if you drive up to the mountains. So if you drive to Turkey within these months be sure you have the right tires.

Mentioned in this post
Bursa
Bursa
Bursa Province, Turkey
Bolu
Bolu
Bolu Province, Turkey
Fethiye
Fethiye
Mugla Province, Turkey
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Fethiye, Turkey
Level Contributor
215 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Dec - 1st April Winter tires!

Do the authorities seriously think that many car owners are going to abide by this law?

Given the state of many cars in rural areas, which are often packed to the gunwales with passengers, without seat belts or the mandatory child seats, I would doubt it.

Do they count snow chains as forming a winter tyre when fitted on ordinary cars? The police in some European countries will stop cars without them from driving when conditions require them.

Is it another case of a law being passed before anyone had thought through the consequences?

I think a rapid investment in the Turkish tyre industry is warranted!

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,471 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Dec - 1st April Winter tires!

Well since the TÜV came to Turkey we see old cars disappearing rapidly on the less local roads. But here in my village an old Renault is still going strong!

İ was thinking the same thing, 4 new tires are not cheap for the average farmer or village citizen. İ see you are from Fethiye, well there is not a single winter tire available there at the moment, sold out. They did fine people up in Seki where the first snow did fall. The fine is 500 TL, and they stop you driving. As long as you stay down near the coast there will be no problem but driving to Antalya over Korkutelli might be risky.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Fethiye
Fethiye
Mugla Province, Turkey
Seki Restaurant
Seki Restaurant
239 Reviews
Uchisar, Turkey
Antalya
Antalya
Antalya Province, Turkey
Fethiye, Turkey
Level Contributor
303 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Dec - 1st April Winter tires!

Hello All,

I have talked to Arif @ Lastikpark in the sanayi in Fethiye this afternoon 14th Dec. He says that it applies to Commercial vehicles i.e. Trucks, Vans & Dolmus. I expect this would include vehicles like the Torneo, Doblo and Kango as they are classed as Comercial vehicles in Turkey. The explanation for that being, "A business can be run from them in Turkey." Estate cars are not included at this time in the Comercial vehicle designation.

He did say that you MUST have Snow Chains for the driven wheels in the car (Preferably in the Boot) when driving out of town.

He also said that in two or three years cars will be included in this legislation.

I hope that this helps.

John

Mentioned in this post
Fethiye
Fethiye
Mugla Province, Turkey
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
4. Re: 1st Dec - 1st April Winter tires!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 08:16