We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Female travelling alone - is this ok in Turkey ?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Female travelling alone - is this ok in Turkey ?

I was wanting to ask about me being able to travel alone for a few days when I am in Turkey. Have other travellers experienced any positive or negative aspects to this ( in Turkey ? )

1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Female travelling alone - is this ok in Turkey ?

Hi

I have only been to turkey once, lovely place but please don't get sucked in by the men. They will flirt with anyone so i'd be extra cautious

Being on your own. Apart from that nice food, gorgeous beaches and guarenteed hot weather!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Female travelling alone - is this ok in Turkey ?

Oh dont worry I would be trying to avoid all contact with the men :) I will be with my boyfriend initially in Istanbul but he cant stay the whole time , so I was wanting to go onto Cappadocia and then Antalya for a few days on my own. When you were there were you travelling on your own ?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Female travelling alone - is this ok in Turkey ?

Turkey is safe for any solo female traveller who sensible and uses their street smarts.By this I mean using the same common sense rule of personal safety you'd use even at home.

Although modernising and well used to western tourists Turkey is still for the most part a traditional and rather conservative country so remember this is a different culture,for example having a laugh and a joke' can have different connotations here,especially with the men.

Men will approach you and their primary aim is to sell you something,if they can flirt a bit and maybe secure a date with you for that night then that is an aded bonus for them but their sole aim is to earn money.

So dont joke and giggle with them,don't be polite and say oh thats very nice,but thanks I don't want one etc.Just say no thanks and KEEP ON WALKING.This eliminates any chance of unwanted/unpleasant conversation.Don't worry about being rude,they have thick skins and will immediately look for their next punter!

Be respectful and respectable and you'll get the same in return.Behave like a ditz and thats how you'll be treated.Turks are welcoming,warm,helpful and hospitable people to travellers who are respectable and respectful.

Cappadocia comprises of a large area full of little villages where life is for the most part sleepy and friendly and you may well get chatting with other solo travellers there perhaps over breakfast at your hotel etc.

Antalya is a big bustling city and it is less easy to get chatting with people there than in the Cappadocian villages so here you need to have your 'big city hat' on :)

Be smart,be savvy,be respectful and you'll have a great time.

Istanbul
Level Contributor
2,092 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Female travelling alone - is this ok in Turkey ?

I've travelled all over Turkey on my own, you'll be fine, especially in the places you've mentioned. They're used to tourists. Have a lovely time :)

5. Re: Female travelling alone - is this ok in Turkey ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 05:21