We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days in Turkey

Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Topic
7 days in Turkey

We are spending 7 days in Turkey for school break in mid February. We are booked at a hotel in old town Istanbul, but want to see something outside of the city for a few days. We are travelling from the USA, so this is not something we are likely to do again anytime soon, and want to take advantage of our short time there. Can anyone recommend a good excursion from Istanbul that we can do in 2 or 3 days? I've seen many Roman ruins in my time, so Ephesus isnt at the top of the list- Maybe Cappadocia or, even better, a non touristy place off the beaten track? Thanks for the advice in advance!

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days in Turkey

Cappadocia is the classic double header trip from Istanbul and really is wonderful. However, Istanbul is linked to pretty much everywhere in Turkey by daily flights, so you could do worse than buying a guidebook with lots of photos and just seeing what takes your fancy.

From personal experince I'd recommend Kars, Van, Mardin, Sanliurfa and Nemrut Dagi as great places to see in the very untouristy east of the country, but there are many others. Try he links on this map (photos aren't great, but it gives you an idea for further googling):

turkeytravelplanner.com/Maps/TouristicMap.ht…

Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days in Turkey

Thanks Bedknobs.. this is exactly what I was looking for. I actually thought that Sanliurfa looked interesting. Would you recommend that or another city in the east, if we can get the flights arranged?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,746 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days in Turkey

genevany, I agree with bedknobs. Gaziantep and Sanliurfa would be the most interesting places to visit. Have a look at my trip reports at the following thread. "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k5419…". You should not miss Zeugma Museum, Gobeklitepe and a cruise over the Euphrates at Old Halfeti are must see's and do's. Give it 3 days. For flights schedules and fares, use "www.aerobilet.com".

good luck,

enigma...

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days in Turkey

Sanliurfa (Urfa) has a very nice middle eastern atmosphere and there are good side trips to Harran and Gobekli Tepe, all of which which would fill a couple of days. If you want something completely different, try this; its a homestay program in a very small village near Urfa and also does tours in the area:

http://www.nomadtoursturkey.com/

Mardin is also very beautiful in, and you might want to make a straight choice between it and Urfa. Alterantively, they're linked by regular buses so you could fly into one and out of the other, taking an evening bus between the two.

Finally, Mt Nemrut is easy to get to from Urfa (minibus to Adiyaman then Kahta, then a tour from there) and is really stunning. You could also fly out of Adiyaman airport if you can find a suitable flight.

For flights, try using www.bulucak.com. It looks like Pegasus and Turkish Airlines fly from Istanbul to Urfa (though note that Pegasus fly from SAW, not IST).

Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 days in Turkey

Thanks for the info! I really love the city of Mardin.. Looks amazing. How possible is it to make a trip of three days from

ist?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 days in Turkey

To give you an idea, Mardin and the nearby Safron Monastary take no more than a day to see well. Relatively nearby is the site of Hasankeyf, which is due to be flooded by a major dam this year (I've no idea what state its likely to be in when you visit). You can get there by local transport but you'd need to change in Midyat, and the return minibuses dry up later in the afternoon inn Hasenkeyf so it might be more practical to do it by hire car if you don't have a lot of time. Midyat and the surrounding area (Tur Abdin) have some interesting Orthodox Christian churches and monastarys.

It looks like Turkish Airlines has daily afternoon flights to Mardin, although they might be relatively expensive and probably won't be very time efficient. You could fly down on the afternoon of day 1 in time to see the sun set, maybe hire a car on day 2 to see Hasankeyf and the Tur Abdin villages around Midyat if you have time, and then spend the morning of day 3 exploring Mardin a bit better.

Alternatively you could certainly combine Mardin and Urfa as there are lots of (luxury) buses between the two. I think it really depends on flights hiow you want to work it, but somethign should definately be doable.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,746 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 days in Turkey

genevany, I would simply fly to Gaziantep from Istanbul early morning, spend a day and overnight there and see Zeugma Museum and other attractions in the city, the second day drive my car very early to Urfa and spend a day there and see Gobeklitepe and Balikligol and other attractions of Urfa, and the third day drive my car early to Mardin and see all the attractions of Mardin during that day and overnight there and drop my car off at Mardin Airport and fly out of Mardin back to Istanbul early next morning. So one day in each city. You can use "www.aerobilet.com" for flight schedules and fares. Urfa is close to Gaziantep and Mardin is close to Urfa. (149 and 188 km's respectively).

good luck,

enigma...

8. Re: 7 days in Turkey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2014, 06:17