What is it like driving round Turkey, I am thinking of driving from Istanbul to the south?Edited: 09 April 2013, 12:32
We don't recommend renting car in Istanbul because the traffic there is no fun, but also because the best way out of the city with a car is by ferry to Bursa. The road from Bursa to Izmir is easy (all dual-carriageway now) but not hugely exciting as far as the scenery goes.
Just like driving in any other country, your own included, the motto is "Always expect the unexpected "
Driving in Turkey safe except night drive between small cities
* Keep your eyes open and never assume people will follow the well known traffic rules such as stopping at red lights!! and don't assume they have seen you coming. Expect a car, lorry, minubus, bus, tractor, motorbike from everywhere.
* Watch out for lorries coming towards you, there is usually someone overtaking them without looking your way.
* People sometimes drive very impatiently driving very close to you from behind and beeping, just ignore them and let them go.
* Watch out for the minibuses (Dolmus) and coaches, they can stop anywhere anytime without warning to take or leave passengers.
* When you are more used to driving, drive confidently, don't expect people to give you way, you will need to be firm.
Just came back from a trip to Istanbul and was quite happily surprised with driving there.
Rented a car in the Istanbul area and, although had a GPS, didn't use it much once I got used to the road signs as they were quite enough!
I only faced nice drivers on my way which breaks the generalization that hits Turkish drivers.
To be objective, I drove (although a lot) only in the Istanbul region so wouldn't know how it would be in the more "rural" areas :)
-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-
This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.
To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html
We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.