We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Think before you complain!

Antalya, Turkey
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Think before you complain!

Just why do people complain so much in hotels - especially in Turkey?..An interesting and amusing article.:)

…blogspot.com/2013/04/i-have...-over-world-a…

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Think before you complain!

Myeovil,

wanted to read but your link to your blog is unavailable..

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Think before you complain!

A very well written piece and I agree 100%.Yes,there can be times when a hotel falls down on something(even the best can)but I truly believe that 95% of complaints are unfounded and petty.And the complainers think that by screaming vile abuse like a mad harridan they are going to get the problems solved....haa haa.

Nowt so queer as folk is there :) It's one of the reasons I take little notice of reviews on TA,especially the ones full of adjectives and hyperbola.

I don't know what your wife earns but it could never be enough for the dogs abuse she'll take over a season.

Antalya, Turkey
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Think before you complain!

I apologies if the link hasn't worked - please try here:)

…blogspot.com/2013/04/i-have-been-all-over-w…

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
39,956 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Think before you complain!

Myeovil, Thanks for the interesting blog. It is no secret that there are very good or very bad reviews for the same hotel depending on the guests expectations, personality, cultural understanding, mood, viewpoints, value systems, income levels, and a host of so many other factors that will affect the review. Contrary to the previous remark here, I take the Tripadvisor reviews very seriously but simply disregard the extremes and look for balanced reviews from guests who have multiple reviews. Without the internet and the reviews in there, how in the world would we know the real issues about the hotel? Or like in the old days from the hotel's own self promotions or advertisements or from word of mouth subjective remarks of a buddy who stayed there so many years ago! Of course not. Where there are humans, there is subjectivity! If a potential visitor is able to sift through that kind of subjectivity, then he/she can easily see what is going on at the hotel pretty much. However this is one side of the coin.

I can also make a lot of meaningful observations from the hotel management's responses to the reviews. The managers or owners are no angels either. They are, on the average, coming from the same fabric and same source of subjectivity as those people who write those reviews as guests. So a management response tells me how aggressive or accepting they (the management/owners) are, if they are able to deal with real customer complaints or are ready to accuse the customers themselves, if they are able to apologize for real shortcomings, if they really are willing to improve the physical infrastructure and the hotels facilities, if they are able to really understand a customer's complaints or brush them aside with a wave of the hand by finding faults with a customer, or if they keep on making the accusations by saying "but you never complained to us when you were here!", etc. Management responses tell us as much about the hotel as the reviews and sometimes are very good sources to confirm the validity of the complaints.

All in all I find the both the reviews and management responses very valuable and useful at Tripadvisor.

enigma...

Edited: 19 April 2013, 08:37
Antalya, Turkey
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Think before you complain!

Hi Enigma - you make some very valid comments. You are right, that the comments must be read in as subjective way as possible. I am also agree with you that not all hotel owners are angels either . The blog article was admittedly slightly biased towards the hoteliers and not the fee paying guest. I guess with everyone who writes a blog it is from their own eyes and their own experiences.

The "you never complained while in the hotel" is unfortunately a l reality. My wife is always making the complaint that if the guest had complained in the hotel then the fault could have been handled immediately without fuss. By waiting until they arrive home to complain, usually shows two things . Firstly there was in all likelihood no grounds for the complaint in the first place and secondly, with nearly every complaint that the guest raised AFTER they had arrived home is a request for financial recompense !

I definitely am not saying do not use tripadvisor , which is a valuable tool for millions of travelers . However what I am saying is attempt to look beyond the complaints and attempt to understand both sides of the story - and as we know there is always another side.

London, United...
Level Contributor
408 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Think before you complain!

I always apply some simple checks when looking at reviews on TA.

1) There will always be a mix of good and bad reviews. Always look at the statistics at the top of the page.

2) If they are nearly all bad reviews, then it is probably a bad place! All good postings it probably is good.

3) Be wary of one off postings from newly registered members.

4) If you are unsure about postings, then look at that persons other posts, this will give you a good idea about

their viewpoint.

5) Be wary of members who seem to think they are professional critics and have posted many reviews.

6) A review that comes in at #1 on TA, does not necessarily mean it is the best place, what it does mean is that

More people have bothered to post/review it with good reviews. It might not be what you are actually looking

for.

Some people are by their very nature professional complainers and are always intolerant of others, it is how they live their lives.

Antalya, Turkey
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Think before you complain!

Some very wise and correct observations.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Think before you complain!

Hi Myeovil,

Finally got the second link to work for me and what an excellent read..so true...and thanks for sharing..

Antalya, Turkey
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Think before you complain!

Thanks for your kind comments and I am happy you enjoyed:)

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,820 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Think before you complain!

Good, well written blog. I agree, some people just seem to like to complain about anything and everything. I have seen reviews on here where people have complained that a cokceral had woken them in the morning, or that they didn't serve English food in the restaurant and you have to think, what kind of person is actually writing this? :o