We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Turkey, we need a bit of help!

nh
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to Turkey, we need a bit of help!

We are visiting in late June to mid July, with our 3 older children. We are flying into Istanbul then thinking of catching a flight to Izmir the same day. Maybe renting a car and traveling to Ephesus, Kusadasi and Pamukkale over the course of 3 to 4 days. Then flying to Kayseri -would Izmir or Antalya make more sense to fly out of? We are thinking of staying in Goreme for 3 to 4 days. We are then thinking of flying to Istanbul from Kayseri. I am having trouble finding a one way flight from Kayseri to Istanbul. Is Kayseri the closest airport to Goreme? We are planning 5 to 6 days in Istanbul. Does this itinerary make sense? Is it too rushed? Are we missing any other must see places. Although we are including many tourist sites, we are also hoping to get off the beaten path. From the research I have done I wish we had a lot more time to spend in this beautiful country. Thanks in advance for any advice or insight you may have!

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Turkey, we need a bit of help!

Turkish Airlines fly from either Kayseri or Nevsehir to Istanbul, or also Pegasus and AtlasJet from Kayseri. Nevsehir is the airport closest to Goreme.

Flights from Antalya to Kayseri are rather inconveniently timed in the middle of the night, so maybe better out of Izmir to Kayseri with SunExpress or Pegasus.

P.S. Itinerary sounds fine, not too rushed.

Edited: 21 April 2013, 00:04
nh
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Turkey, we need a bit of help!

Thank you! I have now found a flight from Nevsehir to Istanbul for less than $40. This seems to be a better option than the overnight bus due to the time constraint. I appreciate your help.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,855 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Turkey, we need a bit of help!

Sun-express have direct flights available that started on april 16th and these flights are available on TUESDAYS ONLY

pegasus has 2 or 3 time a week direct and the other days via Istanbul.

pegasus leaves antalya at 11pm at at night

you can also get flights with ANADOLU JET via ankara and they have day flights..and around around 2-3 hrs in total time with changing planes etc.

www.anadolujet.com/

turkish airlines via Istanbul also have flights around 4 hrs daily http://www.thy.com/

SUNEXPRESS flights leave ANTALYA at 9am and I have seen flights for 50 liras pp DEPARTURE 25.06.2013 Tuesday

XQ7032

AYT 09:05

ASR

10:15 / 01:10 hr

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,120 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Turkey, we need a bit of help!

dogs, You have a great travel plan. First fly to Izmir and transfer to Selcuk and see the attractions there. Here is my trip report based upon a recent visit top Selcuk/Ephesus. "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k5874…"

From Izmir simply fly to Kayseri(Cappadocia) by Sun Express Airlines or by Pegasus Airlines. Have a look at "www.aerobilet.com" for flight schedules and fares but make your bookings from the airlines own websites. Finally after 4 days at cappadocia, you can fly back to ıstanbul either from Nevsehir or Kayseri. (Nevsehir is closer to Goreme).

On balloon trips at Cappadocia have a look at my review of my wonderful balloon trip with Butterfly Balloons: "tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g297983-d183…", and have a look at an interesting video by "emis". "https://vimeo.com/travelgirly100/turkey1". Finally on places to discover at Cappadocia, have a look at "www.goreme.com".

good luck,

enigma...

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,855 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Turkey, we need a bit of help!

hi dogs123 and I did reply to your other post and here is what I wrote;

If I were you I would do my trip like this;

arrive in Istanbul fly to Izmir rent a car there and drive to Selcuk spend 2 nights here to visit Ephesus and the surrounding areas

then I would drive to Pamukkale and spend one night visit the traverins..also along the way you could stop off at Aphrodisias

then I would drive down to Fethiye spend 2 or 3 nights there and take a day boat trip from there

from Fethiye drive about 4 hrs to Cirali and spend 2 or 3 nights there..you can also do a day boat trip from this location too...from Cirali you can drive 90 minutes to the Antalya airport and fly to Kayseri

SUNEXPRESS AND PEGASUS AİRLİNES are available you need a minimum of 3 nights in this area

un-express have direct flights available that started on april 16th and these flights are available on TUESDAYS ONLY

pegasus has 2 or 3 time a week direct and the other days via Istanbul.

pegause leaves antalya at 11pm at at night

you can also get flights with ANADOLU JET via ankara and they have day flights..and around around 2-3 hrs in total time with changing planes etc.

turkish airlines via Istanbul also have flights around 4 hrs daily

SUNEXPRESS flights leaves ANTALYA at 9am and I have seen flights starting at 50 liras pp

and then fly back to Istanbul for your remainder days

have a look at the Turkey travel Planner web site for helpful ideas..

turkeytravelplanner.com/itin/…index.html

nh
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Turkey, we need a bit of help!

Thank you! Your expertise is appreciated! I have read many of your posts on Turkey which were very helpful in putting our trip together.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,855 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Turkey, we need a bit of help!

hi dogs123,

you are very welcome and enjoy your holidays in Turkey ..come back and let us know what you decide..

8. Re: First trip to Turkey, we need a bit of help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2014, 06:17