We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 week turkey itinerary advice please.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
142 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
3 week turkey itinerary advice please.

Greetings Turkey travel advisors.

My wife and I have settled on a rough plan for our October travel and 23 days in Turkey, with the main regions of interest to us being:

1. Cappadocia

2. Lycian coast

3. Selcuk – Pamukkle

4. Gallipoli

5. Gulet trip

6. And of course Istanbul.

We are independent travellers and where possible prefer to spend as much time mingling with the locals in smaller villages rather than being subjected to crowds in the major centres.

Our thoughts are that we’ll probably finish our turkey trip with 4-5 days in Istanbul. Somewhere along the way we’ll have 3-4 days in Cappadocia and maybe up to 6 days on the Lycian coast.

Questions:

1. Any tips on gulet options?

2. Clockwise / anti-clockwise, any advise on which route and sequence for our travels?

3. Lycian coast-(thinking Cirali or Adrasan or Kas) should we base ourselves in one town, or shift every few days?

4. Any advice greatly appreciated.

I’ve enjoyed reading posts from canmom, enigma, busy-retired and many others and hope you may be able to help us get the most out of our itinerary.

Cheers

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 week turkey itinerary advice please.

hi biffdog,

and thanks for the compliments

A note for travelling in the month of october..do be advised that the datesof October 14 - October 19 do fall within the turkish national holidays of "KURBAN BAYRAM"

Kurban Bayramı (koor-BAHN bahy-rah-muh) is the most important Islamic religious festival of the year, and a 4 or 5-day public holiday in Turkey. It will affect your travel plans, so be prepared for it.

I would reserve your accommodations , long haul transportation ( flights, buses etc ) well in advance,

Also keep in mind the day before the beginning of the holiday some places ( local shop keepers ) may also be closed early on that day or during th holiday

All banks and government offices will be closed during the holiday so make sure that you have taken care of any of that business before hand.

at the beginning of the holiday and end transport may be busy as travelers leaving and return home.

please have a read here; 2_week_itinerary_October_2013-Turkey. and what was also discussed.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293969-i367-k63…

as for some of your questions;

2. Clockwise / anti-clockwise, any advise on which route and sequence for our travels?

It does not make much difference except tray to make a loop of Turkey rather then backtracking your steps

this is what I would do;

1. Cappadocia - 3-4 nights

2. Lycian coast 6-10 nights

3. Selcuk – ( 2 nights ) pamukkale ( 1 night )

4. Gallipoli ( 2 nights )

5. Gulet trip ( 3nights 4 days )

6. And of course Istanbul. ( 4-5 nights )

3. Lycian coast-(thinking Cirali or Adrasan or Kas) should we base ourselves in one town, or shift every few days?

I would do a couple of nights in various places starting at Fethiye (2) - Kas (2)- Cirali.(2) this way you will see more lovely spots along the lycian way.

also have a read here

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293969-i367-k63…

also here

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293969-i367-k64…

I wrote;

yesterday, 7:40

hi Ruth,

welcome to the forums

<<we would also like to do some travels on our own after the guided tour but not sure where we should go<<<

I would spend at least 2-3 weeks just in Turkey..from Gallipoli you can either rent a car or take a bus to Selcuk ( spend 2 nights ) see the famous site of Ephesus..then bus/drive/train to Pamukkale ( spend 1 night ) then bus/drive to Fethiye to spend some time along the coast ( Olu deniz and Kaya Koyu ) 3 nights.

then again drive /bus to Cirali to also add more time along the famous unesco lycian way..( spend 3 nights )

from there drive/bus to antalya for 2 nights..then fly/bus to Cappadocis area ( Goreme ) for 3-4 nights then fly back to Istanbul and spend 4 nights there..

have a look at the Turkey travel Planner web site for helpful ideas..

turkeytravelplanner.com/itin/…index.html

Along the Antalya coastline..always a car is preferred..but the local buses are cheap and available..

As for the amount of days it is up to you. One can easily spend 10 days just exploring the Antalya coastal areas ( Lycian coastline ) with the vast amount of historical and rural villages with lovely beaches..The entire coastline of Antalya ranging from the city of Antalya to Fethiye is a wonderful way to spend a vacation. And some with spendid beaches and historical areas. Here are some great places to visit south west from Antalya - Phaselis, Cirali, Myra, Kekova, Kas, Kalkan, Xanthos, Patara, Telmessos, Fethiye, Oludeniz, and Kayakoy.

A couple of places along the way from Antalya I recommend are Cirali, Kas, Ucagiz ( Kalekoy ), Patara and Kaya Koyu near Fethiye.

I have mapped out a route for you here on goggle maps

http://goo.gl/maps/oLuv2

this can be done with renting a car for more freedom or can be done via public buses

I would start in Istanbul, bus to Canakkale for Gallipoli..

Selcuk - pamukkale - Fethiye - Kas - Cirali - Antalya - Cappadocia- Istanbul

for long haul antalya to cappadocia flying is best

Cappcadocia to Istanbul again use flights

Bus travel for long haul

http://www.varan.com.tr

http://www.ulusoy.com.tr

http://www.metroturizm.com.tr

http://www.kamilkoc.com.tr/

www.pamukkale.com.tr/

www.guneyakdeniz.com/

for shorter distances Turkey has vast system of inter city coaches. ...There are minibuses called dolmus, and you can find out the bus times at the otogar ( bus stations )

Domestic airline carriers in Turkey

http://www.onurair.com.tr/default_eng.aspx

http://www.thy.com/

www.atlasjet.com/AtlasjetWeb/atlasjet.kk…

http://www.flypgs.com/en/default.aspx

www.anadolujet.com/

www.sunexpress.com/tr

you could try these sites for finding flights

www.aerobilet.com/

www.skyscanner.net

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
142 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 week turkey itinerary advice please.

Hi Canmom,

Thanks for the comprehensive reply to my enquiry.

Damn I'd forgotten about the dates for KURBAN BAYRAM and was planning to arrive in Istanbul on the 15 October, so clearly I'll have to re-jig our plans thanks to your important piece of information.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Cheers

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 week turkey itinerary advice please.

hi again biffdog,

you are more than welcome for the help. what are the exact dates in october that you were thinking of coming to turkey for 3 weeks ?

I really dont tthink you need to worry too much about the holiday..it should not affect your plans other than you should have accommodations and transportation worked out well before your arrival. dont leave it til last minute and you may find not only accommodations booked up but no flights or buses available

the holiday begins with arife (preparation) on October 14 (Monday), and continues for four days until the evening of October 18 (Friday), with travel effects from October 11 (Friday) through October 20 (Sunday)

Kurban Bayramı doesn't mean you shouldn't go to Turkey. You should plan for the holiday, though.

The good points: some museums and sights (such as the bazaars) may be closed on the first day of the holiday, but most will be open for some of the other days. There will be plenty to see and do. tourism doesn't come to a halt during Kurban Bayramı,

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
142 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 week turkey itinerary advice please.

Hi Canmom,

After an overnight stop in Bangkok our plan was to arrive in Istanbul on 15 October.

From there, with the help of your route suggestions we'll most likely proceed to Canakkale for Gallipoli, then Selcuk etc etc and leave istanbul departing for home on November 7.

Can we expect accommodation prices to skyrocket during the Kurban Bayramı period?

I've just done some more research on Kurban Bayramı and note it also coincides with the Islamic Haj, so air travel in the region will be chaotic.

I'm an airline employee and usually travel space available seating (discounted seat but not confirmed, last to board).

Do you have any info on flight arrivals into Instanbul during mid Kurban Bayramı, say 16 October, is this period as busy as the start and end of this religious period?

Or should I just bite the bullet and book my travel for after the 18 October?

Cheers

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 week turkey itinerary advice please.

<<<<Can we expect accommodation prices to skyrocket during the Kurban Bayramı period?<<

no not really but some places could jack up there prices to take advantage of the holiday

I think whenever you can get decent prices for flights go then..and worry about the holiday after..if you leave Istanbul until the end of your holidays you wont have a problem

Casuarina
Level Contributor
312 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 week turkey itinerary advice please.

Hi biffdog,

Have just enjoyed reading your India blog and see you are planning a trip to Turkey. Out of the many countries I have been lucky enough to visit, Turkey is an absolute favourite. We were blown away by the combination of natural and man-made beauty, friendly people, amazing history and culture and food. We unfortunately only had two weeks so did a tour but would love to do what you are doing.

Anyway, just wanted to say from one Aussie traveller to another do not miss hot air ballooning over Cappadocia -amazing bucket list experience!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
142 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 week turkey itinerary advice please.

Hi Foodie,

Yes we also feel very fortunate to be making the most of our travel opportunities.

Thanks for your kind words about my India blog.

Recently returned from a memorable island hopping trip to the Philippines tripadvisor.com.au/…48869773

if you are interested.

Your glowing comments of Turkey's people, history and culture has only reinforced my want to explore this historic and intriguing country.

Yes ballooning in Cappadocia is definitely on the list.

I'd be very interested to hear of your Turkey highlights.

Happy travels.

Cheers

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 week turkey itinerary advice please.

bumping up for the member ...Swingline...

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
142 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 week turkey itinerary advice please.

Hi Canmom,

Thanks for your itinerary assistance during our Turkey planning. We've just returned from an amazing 3 weeks in Turkey and thought I would provide some follow-up with a link to our trip report and travel blog.

Turkey exceeded our expectations, we even spent some relaxing time in your part of the world, Cirali.

http://turkeywithnut.blogspot.com.au/

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g293969-i367-k6…

Cheers

Chris

Casuarina
Level Contributor
312 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 week turkey itinerary advice please.

Chris,

Loved reading your blog. Sounds like (yet again) an amazing trip. Good friends of ours are in Turkey now doing similar to you. So jealous!

I am still talking about the amazing cucumbers and tomatoes we had for breakfast.

Regards,

Leanne

Edited: 11 November 2013, 08:32