We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antioch, St. Peter's Church

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Antioch, St. Peter's Church

Hi,

My wife and I are consideirgn visitign Antioch for a couple nights during our trip to Turkey this coming fall. something I saw made it sound liek St. Peter's Church was closed for renovations - maybe a couple months ago. I can't find any information on whether it's closed or not now or whether it will be in the fall. ANy info someone can point me too would be great. If St. Peter's is closed, is Antioch still worth a visit, or are we better off stayign on the Lycian coast a couple more nights?

Thanks!

T3T
Western Norway...
Level Contributor
1 post
535 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Antioch, St. Peter's Church

Antioch (Antiocheia in Pisidia) is an ancient site where St. Paul had his first preach on his journeys through Turkey. It was here he proclaimed the new religion to all who would listen.

It was from Yalvac (Antiocheia) that Christianity began to radiate all over the world.

He was preaching in the old synagogue, but this has long ago disappeared and the St. Pauls Church was built on top of it. Unfortunately only the circumference of this church is still standing.

The ancient site is well worth a visit along with a visit to the Yalvac museum. The museum has it's own St.Pauls room.

The site has the remains of a temple to honor emperor Augustus and lots of other things to see.

It is well worth a visit as it still is a hidden gem.

Information can be found/bought in the "souvenir shop" on the right side of the entrance.

August 6-8 they have the Pisidia Antiocheia Culture, Tourism and Art Festival.

There are probably some hotel/pansion to stay at Yalvac, but we stayed at Egirdir (about 75 km. south) which is a beautiful spot with lots of hotels and pansions on the peninsula on Egirdir Lake in the Turkish Lake District.

You will benefit from a few days away from the beautiful, but hot Lycian coast - if you arrive to early autumn.

In worst case - you may be thinking of Antioch in east Turkey, near the Syrian border. I think Antiocchus gave his/his family's name to 11 cities/town in Anatolia - but only 2 remain : Pisidian Antiocheia near Yalvac (about 225 km. from Antalya - 180 km. from Konya) - and Antioch (Hatay) far east in Turkey.

Hope this gives you some clarifying onfo

Edited: 04 July 2013, 01:36
The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antioch, St. Peter's Church

The second review here says that it's closed until the end of August - tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g312729-d1…

3. Re: Antioch, St. Peter's Church

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2014, 05:15