We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling During Ramadan

Cicero, IL
Level Contributor
15 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling During Ramadan

I didn't realize it but I've made plans to travel to Istanbul, Cappadocia, Pamukkale, and a couple other places during Ramadan. I realize that Turkey has more of a secular nature than other Moslem countries but it doesn't hurt to ask. Will the fact that it's Ramadan mean that the majority of restaurants will be closed during the day? Will there be any additional restrictrions (outside of clothing and separated male/female areas) when visiting mosques?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling During Ramadan

All of these are popular tourism area's so it is unlikely you will notice any difference from another time of year.Perhaps some of the smaller side street cafes which only cater to locals may be closed during the day but this would be all.

Turks are very pragmatic people and as this year Ramazan falls across the height of the season,they will see no reason not to be able to fulfill their own fasting obligations but still cater to visitors too :)

Be aware that all restaurants,cafes etc.will be very busy at sunset so either eat a little earlier or leave it until a little later,particularly in Istanbul.

During Ramazan there is an extra prayer service in the evening but this would not affect day time visitors.Other than that no change to the stardard routine.

As a non Muslim visitor no one will expect you to fast btw,but out of respect to those who do please try to be a bit mindful of where you eat and drink,especially in more rural area's.

2. Re: Traveling During Ramadan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2014, 06:16