We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I take Codeine with me to Turkey?

London, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Topic
Can I take Codeine with me to Turkey?

I have a recurring leg injury that occasionally causes me some pain. I haven't been able to get a prescription for painkillers for it, but find that Co-Codamol and other Codeine-based painkillers can take the edge off it when it flairs up, so always have a supply nearby (other painkillers don't even touch it).

However, I know that Codeine is not available in Turkey. Am I allowed to take some with me without a prescription? If it's okay should it go in hold luggage or hand luggage?

If I'm technically not allowed to take it, what's the worst that can happen if it's found? I can live with it being confiscated, but could do without being arrested!

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I take Codeine with me to Turkey?

Codeine is available here but is only sold with a prescription(many drugs here can be bought over the counter without a prescription) and generally it is mostly given as a mixed tablet such as Co-codamol or simlar.You can also buy such as Neurofen and Vermidon(500mg paracetamol)without prescription if that would do.Surprisingly strong and effective anti-inflammatures can also be bought over the counter and they too could maybe useful for you.

So you can bring your medicine it from home but bring it in it's original packaging and it is probably better in your hand luggage-if for no other reason than you may want to take one.

2. Re: Can I take Codeine with me to Turkey?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 06:20