We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe time to go to turkey?

New York City, New...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Safe time to go to turkey?

Beginning on September 4 we will be traveling to Istanbul, then Cappadocia region, then Kalkan, and finally Calis Beach. This is our first trip to Turkey and we are concerned about the protesting (although seems like this has died down as of recent) and what has been going on in Syria. Should I be concerned with any aspect of my trip and would you recommend that I change any part of it? Also, on the return flight home we will have to get from SAW to IST airport. How long would it approximately take to get from one airport to the other on a Saturday afternoon?

Lake Mary, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe time to go to turkey?

Me too. My family just found out I'm going to Turkey for a week the first of October, to Istanbul and Cappodocia; just before starting a cruise - and they're hysterical. (Gas travels! Syria is just next door!) I just don't know what to do? Advice appreciated.

NY
Level Contributor
27 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe time to go to turkey?

We just came back a few weeks ago from Istanbul, Cappadocia, leisurely time spent along the coast between Antalya and Selcuk visiting beaches and archeological sites. Everything was calm, the people were friendly, and we always felt safe. No problems whatsoever.

phila
Level Contributor
277 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe time to go to turkey?

we were there in late June and early July. One thing that is amazing is that the protests, when they happen, tend to be in very specific location, tend to be at night and on the weekend (because most of the protesters have jobs during the day), and if you ask any young person in a business suit when they will occur, they will usually know.

both ptoesters and non-protesters are VERY solicitous of the welfare of tourists, so i would not be worried.

Istanbul was one of our very best trips, and we travel alot. Go.

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,601 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe time to go to turkey?

There are no protests now in Turkey, that was a few months back.

Get a map and have a look at where you are planning at going and you will see how far it is from the Syrian border. Turkey is a very big country and it would take you more than 24 hours to travel across to Syria! Even at the closest point it is 1,000 miles away, from Istanbul about 1,500 miles.

Stop worrying.

5. Re: Safe time to go to turkey?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2014, 06:19