We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe in Turkey?

Greenvale, New York
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Safe in Turkey?

We are due to leave on Sept 26 for a week in Turkey - Istanbul, Ephesus and cappadoccia. Should we be concerned? Should we skip cappadoccia because of its proximity to Syria?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,496 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe in Turkey?

Cappadocia is no where near Syria,please check a map carefully.In spite of the various pieces of unpleasant news floating around Turkey IS safe,where ever you go.

Incidents tend to get picked up on by the foreign media,focused on,blown out of proportion and give the impression that ones life is in danger at every turn.This is simply not true.

Just use the same steet smarts and common sense you would use whereever you were visiting-even walking around your own home city,be aware of who and what is happening around you and your personal possessions and you'll be fine.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe in Turkey?

Cappadocia to Syria is around 600kms..or about 400 milesand there is no need to cancel your trip to Turkey or change your plans to not visiting the Cappadocia area.

please read here

turkishtravelblog.com/is-it-safe-to-travel-t…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293969-i367-k6007…

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,601 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe in Turkey?

As mentioned above Cappadocia is nowhere near Syria. I know when they show maps on tv on the news it all looks quite close together but if you get a map you will see that Turkey is a very big country and the places you are visiting are many miles away from the border with Syria.

Don't worry, enjoy your holiday :)

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,110 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe in Turkey?

Hi,

I agree with the above; don't miss Cappadocia, it'a amazing :-)

Here's a map of Turkey showing where Cappadocia is sitauted:

turkeytravelplanner.com/Maps/TouristicMap.ht…

Here's the UK FO advice map; Cappadocia is well inside the green area:

https:/…turkey

We were there last October, as part of a Grand Tour of Turkey, & loved every minute.

Regards

Kayakoy, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe in Turkey?

I'd feel far safer in Cappadocia than I would in New York !

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
172 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe in Turkey?

Leslie, my husband and I have just arrived from a trip to Turkey this past Wed, doing the exact same stops as you plan to, including Cappadocia. Enjoyed every minute, never felt unsafe at any of these places. As others have mentioned, Cappadocia is quite a distance from the Syrian border, so you have nothing to worry about. I can understand your concern, as we had lots of relatives asking us the same question, but really, there is nothing to worry about. Enjoy your trip!

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,601 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe in Turkey?

"I'd feel far safer in Cappadocia than I would in New York !"

Me too!

charlotte
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe in Turkey?

Good Lord - are people panicking over the Syrian situation and avoiding Turkey? It is VERY SAFE in Turkey and you should not change your plans. Nor can you accidentally stray into Syria or no-fly-zones or whatever.

Greenvale, New York
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe in Turkey?

OK...i see the map. I see the proximity.

What we are hearing here is that the US planes are on air force bases in Turkey. If the US does conduct air strikes while we are there, then what??? Yes, everything is peaceful now in Turkey, but what if while we are there, Syria is bombed and Turkey takes part, what will we experience then in Turkey?

charlotte
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe in Turkey?

I was in Turkey during the first Gulf War. You will be safe, though back then only Swiss Air was flying in and out of Turkey. There are American AF bases in Turkey now (Incirlik near Adana) and alot of AF and Navy personnel in Izmir, Ankara and Istanbul.